or Connect

Posts by staceychev

Thanks for your feedback, Miranda. This letter wouldn't be in lieu of a particular meeting, more of an introduction, rather than allowing weeks to pass while my daughter flies under the radar. I do get what you're saying, though. It's a really good point. 
This is a x-post from the Davidson forums. I'm putting it here specifically and not in general parenting, because I want feedback on writing a letter to a new teacher about my gifted child regarding issues that relate to her specific academic and social needs. So, here's the copy-paste from the other forum:       I was wondering if anyone has written an introductory letter to a teacher about their child, and if you did, if you have any advice or "been there done...
... which is why my state, NJ, allows 15 days absent without a doctor's note before a student loses credit for the year. I'm not sure what the rule is in other states.    I teach HS, but in our book there are excused absences and then there are Excused absences. Absences aren't held against you, in terms of making up work or anything, but to get it forgiven in terms of earning credit for the year, it has to be a medical excuse, ie, doctor's note.    I've never heard the...
Thanks so much for all the feedback. Nope, my kid isn't typical, but I thought that because other parents also were complaining that it was a larger issue. I considered putting that in the OP but decided against it. I guess it could've given some perspective. Between comments here and on the Davidson board, along with conversations with the director of curriculum in the district where I work, I've come to the conclusion that the curriculum is probably acceptable after...
  Unfortunately, I've been talking to the principal since last year. I've met with last year's teacher and with this year's teacher. It's a very small PK-8 school, with one person serving as both principal and superintendent, and no curriculum person as far as I can gauge. I'm not the only parent who has been on the hamster wheel of fruitless conversations, which is why we were thinking the school board route would be justified.    Thank you so much for your responses,...
Thanks to both of you! Your input is really helpful. I had people tell me on another forum that they found that school boards get defensive when being compared to other districts, so I may not end up doing that. I am, however, grateful for any comparisons!   Our math sounds similar, KC, but DD definitely doesn't do as much writing. There may be reading groups but DD isn't in one: teacher has apologized to me twice that she hasn't put her in a reading group yet, once...
My friend and I are dismayed by the lack of rigor in our second-graders' curriculum and are planning to go to the school board meeting on Feb 26th to complain about it. I showed my daughter's 2nd MP portfolio to friends with first graders, and they felt it was very similar to what their first graders were doing, so my friend and I decided to gather some ammunition. This is where I need help:   Part 1: Can you tell me about your child's curriculum and what kind of...
Well, duh! Of course I would say they are--I'm an English teacher! But, my very bright 2nd grader has decided she's not interested in them any more. She's been tested, and her strengths definitely are in that area, but her interests are more in science, animals, and making things. Her teacher is sending her home with 15 minutes of nightly reading, and I asked if she'd like me to ask her teacher if a chapter book is OK, rather than the books that the teacher is sending...
Lexile is so limiting, and if your school is rigid about using it, I'd fight that. I occasionally use lexile in my 9th grade English classroom to point lower-ability kids towards a book they can handle, but it's definitely not the be-all-end-all. I have moved away from it, much because of the shock I've found about where some classics lie. Many of my students struggle with To Kill a Mockingbird, because of narrative construction and historical understanding. They eat The...
My friend, a non-vaxing naturopath, uses http://kidswellpeds.com/.