or Connect

Posts by maya44

Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride I suspect that c-sections contribute to the use of buckets, too. I know that I could put a bucket in a shopping cart and pick up some groceries long before I was physically up to carrying my baby around the mall in a sling or other carrier. Doubt it. I was absolutely not ablet to pick up my baby in her bucket carseat after my c-section, even for the time necessary to stap it into the stroller. Simply too...
Quote: Originally Posted by attachedmamaof3 Ummmm...why else would you be carrying it around then? If you wanted to get your child out of it, they wouldn't be in it in public in the first place. 1. To keep the baby warmer while outside 2. To allow the baby to sleep instead of being jostled awake. This does not mean that once you are INSIDE or the baby WAKES UP that you don't pick a baby, who wants to be picked up, up and take her out of...
I declutter ALL the time. My kids have simply lived by my example. About 4 times a year I say, please go to your room and put everything you don't want anymore in this box. They do. It's not an argument or a fight or a trick. When they were younger I'd just help them by pulling out each toy and asking "Is it time to give this away" they said yes to ennough that I never even felt the need to intervene.
I would want a phone call and a referral throught the social worker to an appropriate place to get her help.
Quote: Originally Posted by Meg Murry. Sorry, but I refuse to perpetuate the use of a euphemism whose primary purpose is to disguise from both master and servant the nature of the job being performed, the enormity of the economic disparity that goes with it, and the attendant powerlessness and frequent exploitation of this job. OBVIOUSLY not everyone is exploited -- and the same is true of other professions in which there is frequent exploitation, such...
Wow, if I just had surgery I would sure want a nice DUMB silly DVD to watch. Sure I'd read or journal if that was my only choice to keep from being bored but frankly I'd really want the DVD when I felt icky. The less mental work the better. And this is one time you want something that is sort of anestethizing. Your son is probably in some degree of pain and the DVD takes his mind off of that. In this situation, this is a good thing. Moreover with a tonsilectomy,...
I really love the public elementary school my kids attend/attended. Here was a typical 2nd Grade day for my dd's. They are not in Second grade anymore but my niece is at our school and I had her with me this week and helped out in her classroom to help out my sister in law who normally volunteers and had minor surgery this week. It really helped me remember the way the day was for my kids too. Since most MDC'ers have little kids I thought this would give you a better...
That is NOT preschool. That is day care. Here, no one calls it 'preschool" when it is really "daycare." Every single stay at home mom I have ever met sends their children to preschool (or a few nothing) not one sends them to daycare. Preschool here is about 2 hours 3x per week for 3 y.o.'s and 3 hours 3 or 5 days a week for 4 y.o.'s. And that's it.
Quote: Originally Posted by secretresistance Sorry if my choosing of that particular link was offensive to you at all! I was just trying to get across the idea that if we're going to worry about elitism in our children because of what we buy them, that I'd worry more about $20,000 playhouses than scraps of cloth and wood, or even the pricey Waldorf toys. I wasn't offended at all. I know that sometimes people (ahem my Crunchy Sister in Law) is...
Quote: Originally Posted by secretresistance Have you seen some of things? Those are the "bests" that would lead me to expect an entitlement complex, you know? Hmm, we do have/had some (fairy bed and playhouse) of these (or similiar) things. : which I have to admit I am sometims embarrssed about around certain people. Will this give my kids an "entitlement complex." Are their grandparent's lavious gifts going to make them horrible...