or Connect

Posts by maya44

I wanted my children to understand that being gay was not a lifestyle choice, but rather a fundamental part of a person. I explained that most girls want to marry boys when they grow up and vice versa, but that some girls want to marry other girls, some boys, other boys. I used the "marriage" term because I felt it was a way for my children when they were very young (like under age 5) to understand the nature of the relationship, that it wasn't just "friendship" but...
How about your ds. You say he is left brained/sceintific type. Is he the sort who craves rules anyway? For whom being told when to stand or sit is comforting rather than chafing? I think many (not all) left brained kids are like this. They feel a NEED for organization and rules and are actually happier that way. If so, I'd stop sweating the public school decision and supplement at home with the things you feel are important. It is sad that your schools are so yucky....
I am not sure I understand. Do your parents care that Hallmark made the ornament? If not would you feel comfortable with finding an ornament made by an artisan/craftsman? I know that these exist at many local arts and crafts fairs. They look "professional" so maybe that would meet your parents needs? You can even find them online, like this cute one http://www.calliopedesigns.com/pengu...ment-1660.html You could get an ornament with the year on it, and be supporting...
Ummm, why not a cup? Because cups tip over and spill. My kids are long past sippy cup stage. But they used them until they were 5 or 6 for those times when they wanted a drink outside of the kitchen.
Quote: Originally Posted by my3peanuts The other night we were at my BIL's football game and it was really cold out so ds needed something over his head. I put his hat on and he screamed and screamed & started getting really worked up so I took off his hat and just put his hood up thinking it was a bit looser and maybe he'd tolerate it more. FIL says to my son(who's 13 months old btw), "Oh you need to get over that" (meaning not wanting a hat on. I told...
My Best Friend called me today, laughing so hard I could hardly understand her. She tells me she was downtown with her dd when she "got another one of those annoying old ladies, doing that wierd smiling thing at Kayla. You know that almost every mom with a daughter adopted in China gets." Then the woman says to her "Oh look at your beautiful little Chinese doll, I bet she was expensive." And my friend just gives her a "look that could kill" and practially runs...
Quote: Originally Posted by Treasuremapper http://www.pobronson.com/blog/2006/0...t-of-kids.html Here's the study I was thinking about. Now I will go read yours. That's not a study. It's an article that mentions, without citation to authors or study name, some study.
Where I live moms of girls are WAY more likely to both meet the child for lunch AND to volunteer in the room. This is routinely credited to the idea that girls "care more" about their moms being around and that after the third grade boys are more "embarred" that their mom is around.
Quote: Originally Posted by HeidiAnn67 I work in a public Middle School and our teachers were not allowed to give Homework during Rosh Hashana, so your son could be telling the truth. Our PS does not allow homework this week either. There is a large Jewish population at our school, but the no-homework things applies to everyone. In any event, I believe what works best for kids this age is to set up a homework time where nothing else is...
I think that kids want to feel that YOU are not worried about them being at a particular place. THAT is why it's important not to react much when they get upset. If you don't they can see "Hey mom's not worried about this, its probably going to be okay" I think your DH handled it perfectly. Your son probably got the vibe from him that he felt good about it. My kids loved pre-school. Loved it. Loved the big projects that there was no way in the world I could...