or Connect

Posts by maya44

Quote: Originally Posted by Evan&Anna's_Mom Well, the kids just left for Seaworld (we live in San Diego and this isn't as big as it sounds) with DH and I'm off for a mammogram. How's that for "me time"? Suggestions for special outings are a little hard to figure out because I don't want 6 YO DS to feel left out, so I don't think it would be good to send just DH and DD out for something special. And leaving at bath/bedtime would be grounds for...
Quote: Originally Posted by Dragonfly It sounds like your dh is taking this very personally - and that's understandable on a level. It's very hard to be rejected by one of the people you love most in the world! The thing is, he's an adult and it's not her job to make him feel included. It's also not your job to push her to make him feel included. Gentle encouragement is fine as long as it doesn't focus on his feelings. It's a great idea to see if...
There are babies out there that sleep for 6 plus hours while being bf even as young as 8 weeks. Two of my three dd's did this. They would go to sleep at 8-9 and wake at 2-3 a.m. from 4 weeks on. Now it is true we did not co-sleep. But they were in our room right next to my side of the bed. Don't assume everyone who is not co-sleeping is CIO'ing because there kids sleep well. Some babies just do.
Quote: Originally Posted by donosmommy04 "The Secret to Parenting" by Anthony Wolf. It's a more authoritative GD book, but I think it is a great intro for someone coming from a less than GD background, and may not be as "shocking" to the system as some of the less authoritative GD books . I've recommended it to several of my own friends in real life who came from spanking/yelling/shaming childhoods, and they seem to love it and are amazed at how you...
Quote: Originally Posted by Montessorimom8 What I'd do in the most nonchalant, monotone way possible, is to gently remove her hand and just say, "No, thank you". Over and over. My ds does this to me once in awhile and I just don't make a big deal about it and it seems to go away for awhile. If it's also a reaction she's looking for not giving her one is a good idea. ITA
But to me the "consequence" for spitting is to be told "No spitting, its disgusting! Do not spit at people" As for "lying" WRT sibling teasing, I have one overwhelming piece of advice:STAY OUT OF IT!!!! If little sis cries, oh well. She'll soon figure out how to deal with her sister, especially if you don't get involved. (Though you can still IN PRIVATE) say to little sis "Wow big sis is sometimes really annoying when she teases you like that, huh!" As for when they...
First I don't think there is anything wrong with telling a child what the rules of society are. Some kids really need this, they don't pick up on it naturally. This does NOT mean you need to punish or humiliate. A simple statement "You need to say please or thank you" is sufficient. I do not do this in front of others but will discuss it later. And modeling is always a good idea and often works. I have to say that one thing that drives me crazy is when I say...
Quote: Originally Posted by MsMoMpls I focus all of my attention on the one getting hit and only talk to him about how much it hurts when someone hits us.... ignoring negative behavior as much as possible. I also let them work it out more than most moms feel comfortable with but their relationship is solid and I respect their ability to be brothers in a way I can't possibly understand. Once the baby is no longer a baby (when he needs...
I think that taking away her toys is just not helpful and is just punitive. I too would try a minimal response. I would immediately stop what I was doing, hold her hands gently, but firmly, look her directly in the eye and say in a serious but quiet voice "You may not hit me [or grandma or whomever]. " Then I would drop it. Except for removing the baby I would not even exit. I would also talk about the behavior later in the day. "This morning you hit me. ...
Interestingly, I work just 1 1/2 days per week. But because I do this no one asks me what I do with "all my free time". BUT they, of course, ask full time SAHM's who have less free time than me because they have a child who is gone just a few hours per day (on two of the days that I am home my girls are gone from 8 til 4:30)! It's ridiculous to ask someone about this. Anyone who thinks you don't have pleanty to do at home, has never tried to run a household.