or Connect

Posts by Shantimama

If he is going to use being bipolar as an excuse for his neglectful and abusive behaviour he is going to learn that he will be required to have only supervised access to your son. He can't have it both ways - too disabled by being bipolar to be held responsible for his actions means he is too disabled to have custody or time alone with a child. At the very least he should have a professional psychological assessment done so that it is clear what he is capable of. Either he...
Those counters are beautiful! I have always wanted wooden counter tops. It has warmed up to the freezing point today and I am having to convince my teens that they still need to bring coats to school! Maybe this winter has been a little too intense. Has anyone here tried square foot gardening? I am thinking this may work in my new place. June 1st is the planting date here but it isn't too soon to star dreaming and planning
1jooj - i just learned that my kids' favourite teacher of all time is going to be teaching in Dubai for the next two years. She considered a job in Abu Dhabi but went with this one instead. She is a wonderful person and a phenomenal teacher. I wish she was going to Abu Dhabi so I could connect the two of you! It is -26C here today but it is supposed to actually get above freezing by the end of the week even if only for a couple of days. I really hope we don't have any...
Definitely measuring temperature in C around here. My dd walked the dog in her t-shirt after school because it was a balmy -2 degrees. I think that is around 30F. I would love to have even a couple of days above freezing for the snow banks to melt down a few inches.    bbm - I remember a mom like that when we were homeschooling. A week off every now and then can be a good thing 
I am so excited. it looks like over the next few days the temperature is going to warm up into the single negative digits. Lots of snowshoeing ahead! This is my favourite kind of winter weather. I am also getting really excited about spring and summer in our new place. I think there will be enough sun here to do some vegetable gardening again. I tried everything in our old place and in 8 years I may have produced a small basket of tomatoes and nothing more - not enough sun...
JG - I have not been able to really run in years. I miss it terribly. Between my asthma and pain issues I just can't do it without great cost. Going on an intensive anti-inflammatory diet for three months last year really helped and enabled me to move more easily AND have more energy than I ever remember having. I still have fantasies of being able to run 5 - 10 km a day again but I know that is a long shot. Cycling hurst my wrists and knees and swimming is out because I...
Geo - this is a snowbank on a side road about 10 minutes from where I live. Keep in mind that I live in a rural area but even so, you get the idea! There is a tree in my front yard that isn't a huge tree but it's still a mature tree, if small and it is 75% buried because of the snow banks. I hope the snow has all melted by August.  
Nic - SO glad you are safe.    Jo - glad you are home and it was such a fulfilling trip.   jaygee - don't understand the effects of chronic pain on every aspect of your life    No more storms here but the snow is still falling. I was sick for about ten days and let it get ahead of me and suddenly my driveway was barely wide enough to get in and out of. I live on a narrow lane way so there isn't much space for getting around. After years of being given the message...
I think I can do SS this year. Putting together little packages always makes me feel better at this time of year!
Nic, I wish you were teaching my kids! The organizational thing is really tripping my ds up. He is a very intelligent and creative kid, does excellent work - when he doesn't lose track or get overwhelmed by the organizational piece and shut down completely. He was excellent with these things until puberty, now when it matters most, not so much. Combined with all the stress and upheaval of these past months, he really dropped the ball in one of his important courses.  I am...