or Connect

Posts by The Duchess

I have 3 kids, girls ages 12 & 9 and a 6 yr old son. Our rule is no screen time of any kind on a school night (Sun-Thur) unless it's for homework. So no iPads, DS, TV etc etc. Friday night is usually movie night often with friends for sleepovers and popcorn etc. All our kids would probably use screens a lot more if they had access but it creates a much more harmonious home with everyone relating better and doing more together. My son has calmed down a bit but a year ago he...
Guys I am so excited! I just weighed myself this morning and I lost 5 pounds this week! I am now 146 and was 151. I am going to keep going and see where I end up. So now on week # 2. I am not hungry, eating lots of food and not counting calories (which I never do, too tedious, I don't have the patience). I have done some mild exercise, walked about 3x this week with friends or the kids.
When I was studying for a MA we did a class about "Difficult People" i.e. we all find some people difficult and how do we deal. One classification was the "Powerful Victim" this is when a person uses their apparent weakness and inability to cope to actually control other's around them. It sounds like your MIL does have anxiety issues but it is also a MASSIVE RED FLAG that she has no friends. Don't let her fear and anxiety end up on controlling you and your husband....
Hello Crazybean, I also had flat affect for a long time. But in the past four years I have become healthier in so many ways. I did suffer depression on and off for years - mostly I believe it was reactive (i.e. as a reaction to events) as both my parents died when I was a teenager and I raised myself with little adult support. When my children were born I ended up getting overwhelmed at times mostly because of a continued lack of emotional support. I think the emotional...
Marriage is taken very seriously by the Catholic Church. As someone with a different faith background it is understandable that you would not be aware of church teaching in this area. If you know that the church contains the fullness of truth and you want to partake in her fullness then this is now part of the path you are on. Jesus wants to heal this area of your life so it is in compliance with His church. Every marriage is assumed to be valid by the church unless proved...
I just began this week (Monday) to do the Eat to Live six week plan. I decided I was going to start this week so last week I cut out dairy and meat and some desserts to prep. This week it's the real deal. Monday I was 151 lb. I weighed myself this morning Wednesday and I have lost 2 pounds! So now I am even more motivated to keep going. I am a 44 yr old mom of three. My youngest is 6 and I haven't got back to my pre-pregnancy health and fitness level, so I have cleared my...
We homeschooled when we lived in Kirkland a few years back, until 2008. LWSD (Lake Washington School District) has a homeschooling program where families who home educate can get access to resources such as art, drama, hands on science etc. Within that community were some amazingly gifted local children including Caitlin Snaring who won the National Geography Bee with a perfect score in 2007. I often met kids who were years past their grade level in ability as well as...
nyssaneala my dh started our marriage with 250k in medical school loans and this was 1996! We got a ton paid off by him working in certain jobs where he was doing federal research and lots of debt was forgiven. We also just had one car for a long time - an old clunker that we drove into the ground, we have continued to only pay cash for cars and have never had a car payment. He was on board with it all but again some days he would drive to work and all the others docs...
Mine is Mr Money Mustache http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/ he and his wife became financially independent at 32! I love the forum; the advice is great but also the humor is very tongue in cheek. I would take a look if you want to get radical about saving money and becoming FI (financially independent) younger and not work and be in debt until 65. I think they could do with more women on the site so take a look!
Love your ideas hakeber! She did have a smaller party yesterday as she didn't have a party last year due the family illness. We went to the local reptile zoo and she and eight friends, boys and girls were shown around and got access to lots of amazing creatures. Her photo opportunity was having a snake around her neck - so she can do girly and not so much!   I think we are expecting about 15, any more idea for more crazy fun general party games that don't have to be...