or Connect

Posts by The Duchess

Couldn't read without commenting Urban. Make sure she is getting plenty of positive one-on-one mommy time with you. As a veteran of three kids, two girls 10 & 8 and a 4 yr son I find "being bratty to mom syndrome" always seems to crop up at times when unwittingly the "bratty" child is missing out on alone time with me. I take a step back and notice that we have fallen into a cycle where all the one-one-one attention a child is getting is for negative behavior. This may...
My dd will be 8 at the weekend and is having a Hello Kitty party (we live in Germany Hello Kitty is not passé for 8 yr olds here!)  I have all the decorations etc. I have lost count of the number of girls coming but I guess 12-15 +. Can you recommend some really good party games for indoors or outdoors? I have a few ideas but not enough...!
A few ideas.. You could contact law schools in your area (or check their websites and see if they have any Free Law Clinics where you can go to get initial legal advice. I wouldn't advise this to be your only source of legal advice but they can help you make sure you are aware of your rights and the resources open to you. Same for Catholic Community Services, even if you are not Catholic or Christian they can be a great resource for families to get practical support...
pbj mama I'm thinking along the same lines. This is all happening at school and it sounds like numerous girls are involved, I would make sure the counselor, Principal etc. are aware of this so they can educate the school population and also hopefully breathe down the neck of this boy. I remember how wise and sophisticated I was at 13 and yet in reality sooo naive. Girls of this age can convince each other something is the "norm" because peer groups reign for young...
I lost both my parents during my teenage years, mom from cancer at 13 and dad of a heart attack at 19. Whatever you do please do acknowledge the loss. With any grieving person we can all feel at a loss to know what to say but ignoring it is the worst option. Teenagers will show signs of grief like anyone else: sadness, depression, anger but they will also want to do normal teen things like see friends go the movies etc. Which can sometimes seem strange to adults in the...
My dd is 10 in September. I am very surprised that she is getting body odor where she needs to wash throughly and use deodorant. Is this common and is it a first sign of puberty with the rest following in the next couple of years? I remember friends teasing me about my breast buds and how they showed through my t-shirt or moved when I ran when I was about 11 and I think I got my menarche right around 13. She is not overweight although she has a little more fleshiness than...
I would encourage you to contact the St. Vincent Depaul Society (SVDP) they are a Catholic worldwide organization who help people in their local neighborhoods that are struggling in any way. They would find a creative way to help you such as finding a car they could donate to you or someone who could drive you where you need to go etc. You do not need to be Catholic or even Christian. Here is their Canadian website http://www.ssvp.ca/English if you click on "Need Help" on...
Also, despite you believing the apartments will be gone quickly I would still try and negotiate with the owners of the apartments on rental terms. Many landlords are very grateful to get tenants right now. Get a book on negotiation from the library and give it a go.
Here are a couple of teaching jobs with the Catholic Archdiocese of San Francisco http://www.sfdcs.org/dcs/teacher_jobs they haven't been posted long so I would keep checking the site as it's a big archdiocese with many schools. Sometimes the pay is less than public schools but the community support is very strong and the parents usually fund raise to top up salaries and give cash bonuses at Christmas etc. Edited to add agency that recruits teaches for private schools...
http://www.whizz.us/ We do the UK version because we are in Europe. The kids love it and can go at their own pace. Also gives lots of feedback for parents which I like.