or Connect

Posts by Vermillion

Toys honestly don't get a ton of use here, and we have a good variety of different things (aka- wasted $$ lol)... Beyond balls (which have always been a hit!) his play kitchen, vehicles of all different types and sizes, & occasionally wooden blocks and duplos, my 2yo doesn't play with "toys" a whole lot.    He liked puzzles a lot when he was younger but they lose their appeal after the first few times. So we got this magnetic board called imaginets with different shapes,...
So my 2yo seems to have developed an imaginary friend! (or a spirit is visiting ) That was honestly my thought... a spirit... then I happened upon an article that mentioned imaginary friends as a pretty common thing amongst gifted kids. And it clicked! Especially when I read this part in an article-   http://voices.yahoo.com/imaginary-friends-every-parent-know-205892.html?cat=25 Makes perfect sense to me. My little guy has been itching for a bike! We're waiting for spring...
The key is to make it fun! There are lots of different things to try. The one my 2yo likes the best these days is to brush away the sugar bugs and then rinse them down the drain!    Electric brush Light up or musical toothbrush Having him put his own toothpaste on. My little guy loves to put a little coconut oil (what we use) on his brush.  Let him brush your teeth while you brush his. try it in front or the mirror so he can watch.    Peer pressure! Look up videos...
 I did some more reading, too, and I'm coming up with the same thing. Seems like a common trait. Beyond being scary smart and a little quirky (interesting & fun quirky so far! lol), there are definitely no other signs of concern at this point, but like you said, my little guy is still so young, too! I guess only time will tell! But I would think there would definitely be some red flags at this point for other problems.  I just looked up your thread, too funny! My little...
My little guy, newly 2, gets these random "obsessions" that he gets so fixated on! Some are normal (trucks and trains) and some can be pretty unusual, like currently, he's very into windshield wipers on vehicles... :P They don't get to the point where they make it so he can't do other things, but to the point where he talks about them A LOT! Wants to draw pictures of them, tells everyone about them, wakes up in the morning talking about them...    My Oldest never did...
Ugh, hate this! I got pregnant with my first at 18... Heard all the time how hard it was going to be for me! Going to breastfeed? We'll see how long that lasts! Stay home with him? You'll be itching to get away! Planning to homeschool? Oh, you'll be begging to send him to school when the time comes! And so and so on! Well, almost 12 years later and it's been pretty great and I've stayed on track with what I've wanted to do!    I think this is simply an envy thing at...
I agree with the evaluation. I had one for my Oldest when he was almost 3 and not speaking much. All was well and he caught up and then some not long after. I always felt like he was fine and was just taking his time, like many of his other milestones, but it was good to have a professional's opinion.    No point in stressing yourself out by waiting on this, especially if you have a hunch, it's good to follow that! If all is well, awesome! One less worry for you. If not,...
My newly 2 year old sounds just like yours! I have always been all about free play as the most important way to learn... not a fan of early academics at all and would never go out of my way to introduce certain things at such an early age! Yet here I am with this little guy, who by 18months could identify all colors, count items, recognizes the alphabet, reads a handful or so of sight words, draws shapes and writes some letters... He is a sponge and has picked all of this...
Yakari sounds adorable!!   My little guy is ALL about  Fraggle Rock! We watch with my 11 year old, who also loves it! (and watched it as a little one, too.) It was one of my favorite childhood shows as a kid, so I love getting to share that part of my own childhood with them!   Oh, and speaking of my childhood shows, I found David the Gnome on netflix, too, but my little guy isn't big into it :/
We really enjoy this one- http://www.amazon.com/Winter-Board-Book-Gerda-Muller/dp/0863151922/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387347973&sr=1-6&keywords=winter   And no words is nice... my little one loves to just talk about the pictures! There's a book for each season, too.