or Connect

Posts by mamaLHK

We just got 3 Nigerian Dwarf goats a few weeks ago.  First we got two adorable, small sisters, and then two days later we got another goat, coming by herself, who was in milk.  I didn't realize it at the time, but she was leaving her herd, and her kids, behind, and her owners had just gone away for a week and had a stand-in milker who had had trouble milking her.  So, she was understandably nervous in her new surroundings, and milking did not go well.    The first few...
Hello, We are moving towards getting two nigerian dwarf goats (and btw, we got 6 buff orpington chicks recently) and I'm wondering what I have to be concerned about re. my two year old (and my 9 year old and the rest of us for that matter).  I was reading a bit about worming your goats, and so that is what comes immediately to mind.  but i'm wondering what hygein practices should we follow to be responsible homesteaders, and what I should be on the lookout for in my...
I'm so glad I found this thread!  I have been feeling soooo frustrated and guilty, because I have a wonderful, patient, loving 9 year old boy and a wonderful but super high needs 1 1/2 year old boy, and it is so hard to home school my 9 year old, let alone do anything substantial with him at all, it seems.  But the thought struck me the other day (duh!) that it will get easier with time.  I love the idea of going later with bedtime.  We had been home schooling in the...
So cool!  
i have a 7 1/2 year old ds with whom i coslept happily until i had ds2 2 months ago.  the night i came home from the hospital we all settled into bed (including dh) and ds2 started crying.  ds1 just looked at me heartbroken and said something like "take him away" and i said "that means i have to go too" and i sadly left and have been sleeping upstairs ever since.  that sounds too much like ds1 runs the show - i wouldnt have left if i didnt think it was the right thing to...
thanks, cratfishgirl.  anyone else have something they can share?
anyone?
i have a 2 month old that was just like you are describing at one month.  he's a lot better now, but i'm still promised more needed improvement by my friends in another month.  i think some kiddos are more neurologically confused than others in the beginning and they improve with the coming months, and then we get better at figuring out what they nned.  for example the rooting non feeding thing - i finally realized that either means tired and needing to get to sleep...
i just had ds2 2 months ago after having an only child for 7 1/2 years.  things are going ok, although sometimes i am overcome with sadness that i am not spending any quality time with ds1.  maybe you all can give me some tips on doing things better, or tell me when i will naturally be able to give him more of myself. right now ds2 only stays asleep if i am holding or slinging him, he takes a long time to get to sleep (often with fussing/some crying and me walking him...
how do you all get your young ones to sleep?  i may be remembering wrong, but i thought i would just nurse my ds1 (now 7years old) to sleep.  my new ds2 (2 months old) seems to require a well-timed combination of walking him around with a bounce in my step and then at the right time quickly popping him on the breast while i continue to hold him and walk with a bounce in my step.  if i try either just the breast or just walking him around there is often screaming.  i was...