or Connect

Posts by racermom

My son (7) has had a very light and lose cough for most of the summer on and off. When I saw the doctor in early June she checked his lungs and they were fine. She suggested that it may be an allergy which I find hard to believe. The cough eventually subsided but has been back for a week at least. It is very lose and he does not have any other cold symptoms such as a runny nose or a sore throat. Could this cough be due to pollution. We live in a big city in the...
Last year, after I lost my job, I decided that if I ever wanted to go back to school it has to be now (or never). I started taking my prerequisite classes and applied last fall for graduate school. So far I've enjoyed being back in school after all these years. However, this semster is really intense and I can barely manage to keep up with all the work. I just got the acceptance letters from the schools where I applied and I am really very proud of myself that I got...
I don't think God was in charge when somebody had triplets after being treated for infertility. In fact, I find it hard to believe that God lets 10% of the entire popoulation (or even less) live off the fat of the land whereas the remaining 99% are exposed to hunger, desease and wars. I have to stop here or I'll get a lot more cynical.
DS got ringworm and he had it at least for a couple of weeks before the school sent out letters alerting parents that some kids have ringworm. My ped recommended an anti-fungal cream which I applied for 3 or 4 weeks before the ringworm on his leg disappeared. Then the doctor diagnosed another spot on his arm as ringworm which means we had to repeat the whole thing all over. Now, of course, I'm super alert and screen his body constantly and I found already 2 small...
Bellydancegoddess, that's a good point. Eventually every child will figure it out. I was just more concerend about his self-esteem because I know that he knows that othere kids master it already. In a way, he is very competetive without realizing that some things take a lot of time and effort. However, holding him back may effect his self-esteem a lot more than the struggle he's going through right now. Or is it more my struggle? By and large I just wanted to say...
Thanks a lot for your input. I agree with all of you that the standards set by the states are ridiculous. Even his teacher, who has a Waldorf background, told me that it's beyond her comprehension why kindergarteners have to do all of that. My son is a very social child. He gets along well with other children and has made one really good friend in his class. From that aspect I think he's doing fine. He's also able to focus on things without being distracted easily...
My son is in kindergarten and I'm totally torn weather he should move on to first grade or repeat kindergarten. My biggest and actually only concerns are his weak reading and writing skills. He hasn't grasped the concept of letters and sounds yet and doesn't know all the letters. There are a number of kids in his class who can already read and, of course, ds knows this which seems to affect his self-esteem. Somehow I refuse to drill him because he is still so young and...
Breathe, Forgive me for possibly being redundant but I skipped most of the answers others wrote. When I had my first child I had never heard of AP. However, many things such as co-sleeping, extended breastfeeding along with other things appeared to be just natural to us. I also deeply resented the idea of having a babysitter taking care of my child because I felt no one was really trustworthy enough to take care of him. However, I am a strong opponent of all...
By having children ourselves we certainly revisit our own childhood which can sometimes be painful. I have a boy and a girl and when I had my daughter I had a lot of thoughts about the whole gender thing. I couldn't image what kind of personality my daughter would have and how she would be. My daughter is now two and a half and, of course, adores her older brother. She refuses to wear dresses and insists on wearing jeans and sometimes she states "Today I'm a boy." My...
My daughter is 2.5 and we've been doing gymnastics for the past half year. She loves it and she is basically in constant motion during the 45 minutes. It's at a gym for kids and they have this huge trampolin which she can't wait to get on...