or Connect

Posts by Fuamami

Help!   I am getting very concerned about ds, age 6.5 and his sensitivity to criticism or perceived criticism. He also has a hairtrigger temper, which he has had since he was about 1.5, and he doesn't really seem to be growing out of it. In fact, it seems to be getting worse. For example, he will think someone is laughing at him or mocking him and he will blow up or burst into tears. This happens most often in his family, but at school and soccer sometimes too. Most...
My kids are great eaters, and I have to say I think it's because we are very hands-off. We have never done the "three more bites" thing, or asked them to eat their "healthy food" before their dessert, or anything like that.    And you know, OP, your 8 yo really might not be hungry at dinner. I have an 8 yo ds who will often have two bites of broccoli for dinner, and that will be all he wants. And, just as often, he wants toast or a bowl of cereal and a banana and 2-3...
  Yes, good points. What I would like to accomplish is for someone to validate to her that it is beyond the pale to treat your own child like that, and she is justified in dumping him. But you're right, that probably won't happen.      This is helpful, thank you. I'm sad, but not surprised, that it wouldn't be investigated. I don't think he would try to share custody, I think he would return to his hometown and drop out of their lives. He doesn't work and has no friends,...
I've been away from MDC for a long time, but I have this very strange situation that I am seeking some help with, and knew I could find it here.   A longtime friend of mine started telling me a few years ago that her dh felt like he needed to be very strict with their oldest child. Then it continued to get worse and worse until one day she came over in tears, telling me that her dh had told the child the following things:   "You might be able to manipulate your...
Tigerle, this is a good point. We talk a lot in our house about how everyone is good at different things, and everyone need to practice some things more than others. This is my answer to why my children are better than some adults at some things, and why my three children also have different skills. 
We spend about $125-150 for five people a week, this includes all lunches because our school lunches are AWFUL! This is kind of embarrassing, but when I went back to working full time and packing a lunch, our cost/consumption went down noticeably. I was eating A LOT during the day while I was around with the kids, mostly out of boredom. Now that I pack a lunch, I just eat what's in that and don't have time to snack a bunch when I get home, since it's practically dinner...
I'm pretty sure that your HSA only makes it more convenient to deduct, but you can still only deduct if you meet the 7% of income rule, right? I think that's what happened with our taxes this year.
I'd call your bank, a realtor, and possibly an attorney if your realtor doesn't seem to know what they're doing. We did a short sale that closed in February, but there were some circumstances that made it easier for us. One, our final price was 200K less than what we had bought it for, so we were substantially upside down, even after a fair-sized down payment. Two, my dh was laid off and our income was halved, and three, we live in a state where the bubble was really...
We have catastrophic care with a $10K deductible, and it's ~$150/month for our family of five. The deductible is a bit high for my comfort level, but right now things are really tight and I know we could get that kind of money from family members if necessary. We've had this kind of insurance for years, actually, and never had any major, major expenses. We also get one free well-child visit per kid and check-ups for me and dh (pap smear, too, for me).   I think the...
Thanks, you know they don't really itch, though! We did keep him home, but he hasn't been irritated by them at all. The very first one, on his arm, bothered him, but the ones on his back haven't bothered him at all. Maybe it's something else. He feels totally fine, BTW, but I remember I did too, even though I was covered with them.