or Connect

Posts by Fuamami

So, are they the maternal grandparents? I always wonder about grandparents raising their kids' kids. I feel sorry for them, in a way, but I also wonder if their parenting styles what might have led them to end up raising their grandkids to begin with, IYKWIM. It kinds of sounds like it might be the case here.
Feeling Boxed In Farts?
Yes, it is straight up chaos with a 2 year old and a baby. However, the payoff really comes in a couple of years. My kids play together all day long. Seriously, I rarely have to entertain them. We'll read a book or play a board game together, and then they're off, playing all sorts of great elaborate games they've made up. It's awesome, IMO.
IDK, I slammed my dd's finger in the car door when she was 3. Yes, makes sense to move her away from the door. But also, accidents happen! I would cut him some slack, if I were you. Probably the stitches will help encourage him to be more cautious!
That is so ridiculous. I read a study a few weeks ago that supposedly proved that lobsters feel pain when you boil them alive. At the time I thought, "Wow, there were some well-spent research dollars! I mean, no sh*t animals feel pain when they're boiled alive!" But apparently, it's not obvious to everyone that living things feel pain.
Quote: Originally Posted by desperatemommytobe Thank you all for the replies. Yeah I guess I have a decision to make but glad to hear that at his age it's not as hard as with a toddler. The place we go to doesn't have bears (or so it's been said but some ppl claimed seeing bears like five years ago) but I know that leaving food in the tent is not a good idea as it could attract bears. Leaving the formula in a cooler is not a bad idea I guess, it might...
Quote: Originally Posted by ChristaN Another reality check -- the 98th percentile is one out of 50 people. It isn't as rare as it sounds, but it is rare enough that you are unlikely to be learning much in a classroom where you are probably the only person who is that able. What type of testing does your school require for admission into the gifted programming? Most schools I've seen take kids in the 95th percentile just to reach critical mass (enough...
Quote: Originally Posted by Mal85 Thanks for the replies and support so far. I talked to the girl's mom this morning when she dropped her off. I asked her for any tricks they have at home for keeping her content and getting her to sleep. Sleep has been our issue this week. We've been swaddling, both babies. And they sleep great when swaddled. Two long naps a day and they're both ready for a cat nap by the end of the day. Well, her parents have decided...
Quote: Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom Wow! My 5 year-old ds is a HUGE Star Wars fan. (He seems to have some comic book/sci-fi geek in him, like his dad.:LOL) There aren't actually many guns in Star Wars. A few laser guns here and there, but not many. Ds is into light sabers. He frequently draws his own on paper, colors it, cuts it out and fights Darth Vader. We've also told ds about the true Jedi philosophy, which mirrors our own spiritual beliefs....
Quote: Originally Posted by kgianforti Actually that is something I struggled with. I thought that my dd, who I believe is moderately gifted, should stand out somehow. So while reading "A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children" by James Webb, I found that he addressed this. He said basically when you are in the 125-145 range (which is gifted), you are bright enough to whiz through school and your career but you won't stand out like those with higher IQ's (at...