or Connect

Posts by Fuamami

Quote: Originally Posted by karne Is there any way you can conference with her 1st. gr. teacher and ask about differentiated instruction? I think her reading ability must be very high for her to comfotably read The Horse and His Boy, frankly. Could she have reading time/instuction with another grade perhaps? My ds is going into first and I was happy with kindy as a social experience, but 1st gr. needs to offer academic challenges IMO. Yes,...
Quote: Originally Posted by cymbeline I am dying to buy those "Drip Irrigation for Dummies" kits from Lowe's! If you beat me to it, let me know how it went ;-) In the meantime, we have three veggie beds, each with its own soaker hose. Every night, I hook the hose up to one of the three beds and turn the faucet on to the lowest setting. They drip all night. Each bed gets a turn every few days, which seems to be doing the trick (except for my cukes and...
Can you just say no baths, period? Make up something about dry skin, safety or something? But, I have to point out, if she's a nudist she might just get nude in front of him anyway. Since he's only 1, I don't think it's a big deal. But as he gets older, he might see more of his grandma than he wants! If you think it's predatory/sexual, I'd be very concerned. If you think she's just kind of a hippy/dippy nudist or something, meh. She's his grandmother, and he'll have...
Quote: Originally Posted by no5no5 What I'm wondering is whether you have your head in the sand about her LOG. That's a pretty advanced book for a first grader. Why do you expect her not to get into the GATE program? Is she behind/at grade level in anything other than writing, spelling, and rule-following? Because it does seem like an awful lot of time wasted if that is all she can expect to learn in a whole year. Will the school accommodate her...
I homeschooled by dd for kindergarten, and she'll be starting 1st grade in a couple of weeks at the public school. I have been thinking she'd be fine, because while she is ahead in some things, she still writes all in caps most of the time, can't spell too well, and will need to learn all the school/classroom rules, which might be slightly challenging. Anyway, this morning she has read most of The Horse and His Boy and I'm wondering if I just have my head in the sand...
Quote: Originally Posted by Roar The other thought I have is that sometimes stuff really does fly over their heads. It may be if he's not ready to get the themes that he wouldn't even pick up on them. Amazon reviews can help too. Looking at the reviews for this book it sounds like the themes are handled in a sensitive way and they would be appropriate for some seven year olds - can't say if they would be for yours though. Yeah, I agree with...
I heart RightStart Math, and it is totally easy to modify for all levels/ages. Kind of spendy, but it has tons of fun manipulatives: alabacus.com
I am very reluctant to flat-out lie at the WBV that I actually go to, because my older kids always go with me. But, I have found that an interested expression, a nod, and an "Umm-hmm!" go a long, long way towards convincing the doc that you're totally on board!
I don't think you have to be in an AP group to find a good "mommy" fit. But maybe your playgroup isn't right for you? I found one that I love, but none of the moms are really AP, and some of them do everything "wrong", as in formula feeding, scheduled C-sections, CIO, time-out, whatever. But you know what? They are all actually really loving parents, and their kids seem to be turning out just as well as mine, or better! And they're also supportive and interesting...
I do think the wording is a little strange, but I don't know how I would change it. For some reason, to me, "Special Man in Your Life" sounds vaguely romantic?