or Connect

Posts by Fuamami

I just hosted a party for a group of 4 year old boys, and 3 of the 6 moms kept punishing their kids for talking back. By talking back, they meant saying "no", or basically raising any complaint or disagreeing with what they were being told to do. In my family, we don't do this. If my kids scream at me, I point it out. But I am totally fine with them arguing with me. For example, I would tell them it's time to go to town. Then my 4 yo might say, "I want to finish...
I often have this dilemma with these two. I think SIL is an alcoholic, so I wonder if I'm enabling her by providing free babysitting. But on the other hand, I worry about the DNs, so I know that if they're with me at least they're pretty safe. It's weird, but dh and I resent BIL the most, even though he's the more responsible. I feel really bad for that, but I can't help it. I guess I cut her more slack because I think she's an alcoholic? Or because Dh has filled me in...
My Target doesn't stock anything over a 10! Lame! Do you have a Ross or Marshall's? Since I had ds2, I have actually bumped up to an 11.5. No, not quite a 12! That would be too easy! But 11s are just a hair too short. Anyway, a couple of months ago I found an awesome pair of Asics running shoes in 11.5 at Ross. And there was a darling pair of dressy sandals that fit, but I didn't want to spend the money.
I took dd to my grandmother's funeral when she was 2 years and 2 months. I also took ds1, who was 10 days. She wasn't upset, except that she was restless and tired because we had to drive 600 miles to get there. But, she's not the most emotional kid ever, either. And she had only met my grandmother a handful of times. Anyway, I'm so glad I went, even though the actual trip was pretty hellish. I don't know how close you were to your grandfather, but I was so glad I...
Quote: Originally Posted by SkyMomma * And the moment that triggered this post--I’m putting Skyler to bed & notice that he’s looking teary. I ask him, “Why are you feeling sad?” He replies, “I didn’t know…” I say, “You didn’t know what, honey?” Skyler says, “I didn’t know that I was lonely before Gryffin. I didn’t know HOW lonely I was, until he came. Now I’m not lonely anymore.” Can't wait to read yours! That is incredibly, incredibly...
Now ds2 just woke up all sweaty and hoarse. :
Quote: Originally Posted by camracrazy Why did SIL want you to take the 4 yo this weekend? Honestly, if I had been your DH, when I got there and discovered the child was sick, that would have been a dealbreaker. Unless you already knew she was sick when you agreed to watch her. I might have been a little more lenient if there was a really good reason.... a death or bad sickness in the family (such as a family member who might not live very long and...
I'm usually the one asking "What are you doing?" when it's too quiet! But ds2 is always asking "What's that?" But he won't give you any clue about what he's asking about. It could have been a sound he heard, or something on the page of the book you're reading, or a word I just used. He wants clarification, but he doesn't have a starting point, so he just keeps saying, "What's that?" and God forbid you give the wrong answer!
I don't know if this is the right place to put this, so please move as you see fit! I am so annoyed with my in-laws, and with myself and my apparent inability to say no. Last Christmas, I gave dh's sister a coupon for a weekend visit for her kids at our house. So on Thursday, she called and wanted to redeem it, just for her dd, who is 4. We had a pretty busy weekend planned, with dh working, a bday party, and trying to get dh organized for a big project out of town...
I don't have any stepchildren, but a good friend of mine does. In fact, her DSD is 8, but was 6 when they married. She confessed to me awhile ago that she didn't ever feel any real fondness towards her DSD, but that she felt that she provided a stable home-life and was consistently kind and responsible, and that was the best she could do. I just wanted to relate this story to let you know that you're not alone, and it sounds like you're dealing with it really well.