or Connect

Posts by NoCreamCorn

The best zine EVER is 'The Edgy-catin' Mama'! It is very cool and totally funny. Nina writes the zine and if you email her, she sends out a free sample issue to new folks. edgycatinmama@aol.com I highly reccomend it! Oh, and like someone else said, John Taylor Gatto.
Well, we have a nice size portion of grass but there is an orange tree there. Other than that, we have a small strip of area that runs along the neighbors chain link fence. We live in the bay area so space is limited. Thanks for the tips! I was wondering if my thread was gonna die! I actually got a few books at the library today, and one was about growing veggies with limited space, so we'll see how it goes. Thanks Chanley!
I'm such a geek, I forgot to add that I need to be able to grow in containers because the house I am in right now is a rental. thanks
I really want to grow my own organic vegetables. However, I dont know a single thing about gardening or where to start. I dont even know how to make my own compost. Basically, I think I am at an 'Idiots Guide' level. Can anyone direct me to any good beginners books or websites or???? Thanks in advance!
Hey Oatmeal, we pay $1100 for our place too. We didnt qualify for foodstamps or cash aid. But the thing is, we dont have a car. BD makes about $1400 a month. I dont know how much you make, but I doubt that youre gonna get assistance when you pay that much and you have a car payment. It doesnt matter if you are leasing or not, its still money you have that is being used to pay for something that you dont necessarily need (at least to the state). Like everyone else...
Quote: Originally posted by gurumama slightly OT, but: I would happily see my tax dollars pay for single moms to be SAHM. Why does our government view middle and upper class mothers who stay at home worthy of IRA qualifications, and the right gives SAHMs moral cache, but a welfare mother who wants to stay at home is somehow "lazy"? We do not value children as a social good in this country. It's sad. Oatmeal, I don't have any advice for you--just...
I thought this thread was dead, too. Anyway, you are going to have to show your caseworker you and your roomates rent reciepts that show how much each of you pay. I am almost positive that because you only pay 200 and because you lease a car, that you arent going to qualify. If you are making any sort of car payments they try to get you to sell your car. You cant own anything, and if you have anything of value, they will make you get rid of it. But the wierd part of...
I dont know how old your baby is (ds or dd?) but in CA you can stay at home with your child until he/she is one y.o. and still get all benefits. I'm sorry, but I think that 'trumping' the system is fine. Screw the government anyway. I wont get into why I feel this way... Anyway... when you go back in to the social services office and tell them about your roomate, you need to make sure that you tell them that you prepare and buy your food seperately. Otherwise they...
I like to bake it in the oven. Its really easy. First you gotta press the tofu to get the excess moisture out, then you chop it into 1inch chunks or cubes, however you want the pieces. Mix 2tblspoons of oil with at least 4tblspoons of tamari or soy sauce and however much garlic you want along with the tofu pieces, toss it in the oven at 350 degrees and bake for 30min. You can decide how much garlic and soy sauce you put on it. Sometimes I just press and cube it and...
Yeah, all the suggestions are so helpful! Thanks Mamas!!!