or Connect

Posts by JohannasGarden

I homeschool so don't know the details, but I thought that if the school does an eval and you don't agree with the results, then upon your written request they have to pay for an outside eval by someone mutually agreed to and they then have to accept those results? Isn't there something like that? Have you checked wrightslaw for a discussion of it? That is infuriating, especially her explanation of what would be different if he were autistic (no empathy, not such...
How aggravating. I mean, I would certainly want to know, and I'm sure you do, too, "if it wasn't a seizure during these episodes, what did happen on the tape that made other professionals think it was seizure activity?" It seems likely that the brainwaves changed in some way during these episodes or no one would have suggested seizure. So what sort of non-seizure did she have? I mean, if you hurt your leg and get an xray, you don't want to just hear "it's not broken" but...
I know someone who made hemp necklaces for her kids. Another made a necklace (right around the neck like a choker) for her daughter out of T-shirt material--she took 3 strips and braided them together. In the meantime, I also suggest buying cheaper shirts--usually thrift stores have a day where some items are half-price or .99 and she or a friend can pick up a bunch of shirts in the right size. DS often finds pre-worn clothes easier to adjust to, also. Sherri
That is unusual. I don't know enough to know what sort of thing they would disagree on. How expert is the doctor and did her neurologist review the actual readings or just the reports? Sherri
In my experience with a sensory seeking child, I believe that it is actually a response to oversensitivity. I think that DS's experience of overstimulation is sort of like itching all over, making a really, really loud noise, for example, kind of drowns out the little, persistently annoying noises. I've definitely read authors who see it similarly. One book I read told of a mother having her child in for evaluation. Someone dropped a metal trashcan lid outside the window...
Awesome! Keep us updated. Vision therapy is one of those things I've wondered about. Sherri
In your other thread you also mentioned seizure-like episodes but normal EEG's. I just wanted to aske whether she actually had a seizure-like episode while having the EEG? Unfortunately, you can't really rule out seizures because of a normal EEG during a time free of events. Sherri
Well, didn't that turn out better than anyone might have imagined. Since about 10% of kids have transient tics, the possibility that they have tics or know someone with them is certainly high, although I've heard that sometimes 9 out of 10 students will say they have tics after a presentation like this (and they are on a continuum with certain tensional outlets or mannerisms). Another really awesome aspect of this is that your daughter will now be so much better able to...
I would second seeing if there is a special needs soccer option. We are fortunate to live near this place wholechildren.org and it can be amazing to see what a bit of extra support and a smaller class can do. I understand your feelings very much. There are things DS wants to do that he just can't do in the context usually offered for doing them. Sherri
Oh, I'm so sorry. We also homeschool, but one thing I've garnered from reading these boards is that IEP team members often behave much better if both parents come--particularly if a male parent is there. He doesn't even have to say much, but they are less likely to completely discount your own observations. So if that's possible in your family situation, it may be worth a try. If they thought it was necessary to "push him to see how far they could go" with him, I would...