or Connect

Posts by JohannasGarden

I really don't know. There is nothing there that sounds really inappropriate for a 3, almost 4 y.o., BUT, I'm not sure I would totally ignore it. I would at least file it away somewhere. If your daughter is the youngest in the class, ignore it. But I could have listed some of my Aspie son's 3 almost 4 y.o. behaviors and gotten lots of reassurances and he's got some grandparents who still think he's typical, but he had and has a far harder time than other kids with the...
My guess is that it would be somewhere in between. I am not sure why it was important for him not to rub his face after each bite, but it sounds like they held his hands for that and not to force a spoon in his mouth, and that he didn't like it and they worked out an alternative. I wonder if it's possible for you to observe feeding therapy through a oneway window somewhere? It might be good to get a feel for what's going on. It might still disturb me, more so if my child...
We've sort of been label avoiders, but I personally needed some kind of idea of what we were looking at. One of the main things a "label" (whether formal or informal) can do for a child is to relieve them of some of the frequent punishments and scoldings they are likely to get for things that are very much a result of their disorder. you can avoid formal labels, but people will attach labels like "mean, uncooperative, self-centered, aggressive, disruptive, uncaring,...
I that if overall he enjoys it and you feel the program has been good for him, then I would probably just talk with the teacher about how you don't want him stopped from doing things just because they are weird or delay him for a short period of time, and use the rock throwing as an example. Sherri
While it is usually a bit of a process to diagnose Tourette's Syndrome, it is much less of a big deal to diagnose "transient tic disorder" or "tic disorder--NOS". It may be that a pediatrician or psychiatrist would be willing to make that dx and ask the school to write a 504-OHI about it. You can tell the teacher that most of the educational materials are designed for Tourette's Syndrome, and that the info. would generally apply even though she has a different dx. The...
I would probably place an absorbent/waterproof pad beneath the child in a Good Nights at night. I would also make sure the Good nights are getting full and it's not a leakage at the legs or waist issue (I've had this happen where the pullup just isn't catching what it could). The child is least likely to be woken up by wetness with a chux pad. There is a book for kids who can read called something like _Dry All Night_. It has a number of tips for parents in the first...
1) I would absolutely not encourage a child to modify a tic like this. There are tics, some would call them compulsions since they involve others, that I encourage DS to modify because they really do violate people's personal space--like poking others or licking them or licking objects. I have also encouraged him to delay, step out of the room, or "soften" some things like loud shrieking tics. I think I've gone too far with the latter, as he once described to me there...
There's a good book on the subject called _When the Brain Can't Hear_ Particularly if she doesn't have speech problems, it's unlikely she would be diagnosed with CAPD this young. The official test for it is at 8, though there is a screening for younger kids now. It's a similar test, but they see how severely the answers decline when they play extraneous noises in the headphones. Sherri
I was just popping in to recommend that book. It is in our local library and the kids like it. They enjoy books in that series by parents of kids with Asperger's--Tobin Makes Friends was a helpful social one for us. Sherri
How many cafe au laits does he have? My understanding, actually, is that some types of neurofibromas can get bigger and larger, though that doesn't usually happen and suggests autoimmune more. The rash is also immune related usually. I assume they ruled out the possibility that the lumps were enlarged lymph nodes? (not that that would explain the heel anyway). It is good you are going to the NF clinic. I think it is a pretty good one and the doctors there are likely to...