or Connect

Posts by JohannasGarden

The relevant though not definitive tests would be a throat culture (long, not just short), ASO titer, and antiDNAseB or something like that. They aren't definitive. I don't think it's controversial that PANDAS exists, it's more that who to treat and longterm antibiotics treatment are controversial. My son, for example, will get intense OCD type stuff and/or tic episodes that do seem to just powerfully appear over a few days because that's how Tourette's works for many...
Quote: Originally Posted by ollineeba DH and I love the idea of homeschooling, I guess I'm just concerned that I'm not meeting his needs. I also just want to put a plug in for doing what you really want to do even if your child has special needs. If you actually love (a significant portion of the time, at least) both the idea and the reality of homeschooling, a vague idea that you might not be meeting his needs is not, imo, a reason you should...
We homeschool and enjoy it (most days!). I think one of the best things about if for DS is that I can cut down the social interactions/sensory chaos to a somewhat more manageable level. Honestly, this is the first year that DS has made friends who really like him back--not one time goes well and the next the other child gets disgusted and says he never wants to play with him again, but people who look forward to seeing him week after week. Maybe he would have met people...
You may also want to check out one of the Yahoo groups related to floortime. I think I am on floortimers, and I've definitely seen people discuss their visits with Dr. Greenspan. Sherri
I'm sorry the thread worried you more, and hopefully we're all wrong. That said, I do think that a lumbar/sacral MRI makes sense with the birthmark. If the pedi. GI visit is a ways off, you could get an MRI sooner. You probably don't need to see a neurosurgeon if the MRI is negative. You said that your child is on target for gross motor, right? If that's the case, if there occult spina bifida, that's a very good sign. It's also not a definite. When I realized my son had a...
It certainly can be just a birthmark, however, really significant constipation (i.e. pain and a hard time, not just not going as often as a friend's baby) is pretty unusual. I think you will most likely want an MRI of the lumbar sacral area--we did this for my DS who has constipation and a small dimple, but the MRI was negative for Spina Bifida. The other thing you might consider is a sigmoidoscopy to rule out Hirschsprung's. These tests usual require either Chloral...
I use it with my 7 y.o. child and sometimes the 4 y.o. takes some, too (more for resetting). DS will get into a falling asleep anxiety cycle where he will ruminate and ruminate on things that scare him until he's up for hours and terrified. Melatonin is better than that. I cut a 3 mg about in half, crush it, and give him about half of that--so about .75 mg. Less will work once he's in a better groove. Then some nights he won't need it. I take holidays when I can as the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Shiloh or posted on the internet...how insensitive... I am fighting with ds school to keep up his cream and gloves but only one teacher (the head teacher) is on the ball...should I get a doctor's note? Re: doctors, if there is a large hospital near you, you might have better luck with a dermatologist there. If you're uncertain about dx and treatment, that is. They are just much more likely to know the unusual...
It definitely sounds like encopresis to me. I don't know how active it is at the moment, as we've moved on to other things, lol, but I often used to go to aboutencopresis.com It has a discussion board for parents dealing with this issue. Shortened version--it is not the child's fault, it is a treatable medical issue, but it takes time and sometimes some trial and error to find the right treatment. My son has accidents when he gets backed up, when he's pretty cleaned...
Oh, thank you! I have searched this site many times for "bower" "fairy bower" "fantasy bower". One time I got another thread suggesting longest silk scarves from dharma as being easiest because they are hemmed. So if you got 3? of the 22x90 inch ones and one smaller scarf for the top, we could die the silk, sew the silk onto the hoop (a small fold over it, I imagine, sewn with a gathering stitch then gathered and resewn perhaps?). Then I think I could attach a ribbon to...