or Connect

Posts by JohannasGarden

An OT once observed a tremor in my son that fit best in the category of an intentional tremor. We did go to a neurologist but were already headed that direction. I would consider making the appointment in your situation. 1) a non-urgent appointment can take months--actually an urgent one can take a couple of months, so it's often better to make the appointment and decide when it comes close whether you want to keep it 2) there are a couple of serious things it probably...
It seems like you need a hoop (what kind? where to get?), fabric (silk or gauze) about 7 ft long that you sew around the hoop and then another scarf-sized piece that goes over the top, has a hanging thing sewn to the center, and is somehow attached to the hoop as well. Can anyone give me some tips on the easiest way to do this? My daughter is really into us making one of these and wants to set up a lemonade stand to earn $ for supplies . I'm a bit confused on some of the...
I would recommend the book Overcoming Dyslexia by Shaywitz if you haven't read it. It's widely available in libraries. There is some variation in what stumbling blocks there are to reading. The most common is a difficulty "hearing" sound distinctions. Common indicators of this problem would be a difficulty getting what a rhyme is (it's fairly easy to teach most 4-6 year olds what a rhyme is, but it's extremely difficult for some kids to get it and even when they get it,...
I would imagine that this child had at least a sleep deprived EEG during the intial neurological eval. for Tourette's, but I would probably want to explore the seizure possibility a bit more, particularly if the child doesn't remember some of the rage episodes. I would also explore the possibility of Asperger's or other pervasive developmental disorders. I'm not saying that you've said anything that suggests it to, I only mention it because I was once wondering about...
The matter of whether young children can have OCD is certainly debatable. I do think that the knowledge of OCD and anxiety in young children that I got from reading Tamar Chansky's books was very helpful to me. (She also has a website called worrywisekids.org) I don't think it would be a bad thing for a parent of a child who turns out to be just a little extra intense about the usual preschooler compulsiveness to apply some of this information. Sherri
It really is hard to tell at such a young age. What I find helpful with certain "has to be a certain way" behaviors is to get myself out of it as much as possible. Let him take care of it himself. My son (who is older and has Asperger's and Tourette's with some OC issues that wax and wane) can go the extra mile in not wanting his foods to touch each other. One morning he was completely melting down because he thought there had to be one spoon for spooning yogurt out of the...
I eventually weaned my son with Asperger's when he was a bit over 6. It was very hard for him. The biggest reason we weaned was that it had really been bothering his dad since he was 4 or 5. By that time we'd talked and talked about it for years and it felt less and less right for me to continue. I certainly had mixed feelings about it and still do to some extent. The other reason was that I got really cranky around nursing (and I'd been tandem nursing since he was 2 yrs....
Quote: Originally Posted by pookel I know how you feel about evaluation, Brig. My concern is that I think it's unfair to self-diagnose, but I want to know for sure what's going on with his brain. I've never met a diagnosed Aspie or Autie face to face, so I have a hard time judging whether he "fits" or if I'm just imagining things.. Many of the things your son does are similar to my son at those ages, except that my son's language development was...
This is a case where I would do it by email and write something like the an earlier poster suggested, "I discovered this and am really upset about it, particularly the fact that you lied to me about it. I'm not sure when I'll be ready to talk about it, but if you wonder why I am acting differently in the meantime, that is why." Or however you want, but short and to the point is good. Also explain what you do and don't want in the meantime--do you still want to get...
I went back to look at the stickies we actually do have. I do think that sometimes people post without thinking that their words are probably being read by adults who have exactly the condition being discussed. Though this isn't the idea you raised, Hala, I wonder if it doesn't make sense to remind people of that? Sherri