or Connect

Posts by JohannasGarden

I think it's a great idea. I also remember that some time ago you raised the idea that "special needs parenting" can refer to either the child or the parent or both having special needs, so I also think that a sticky specifically about that possibility could be useful, too. And while this is different from your original idea, I think that something like "What some of the autistic adults on this board would like parents to understand" or something like that could be very...
My son has Tourette's Syndrome with obsessive compulsive features--so it seems to be more the compulsive side than the obsessive side. It also waxes and wanes--so maybe for awhile he'll be terrified of "not right" things like a crack in the kitchen linoleum (he tried to get us to let him eat in the living room, because the dining room is next to the kitchen and he might accidentally look at the kitchen floor during dinner if he ate in the dining room) or cobwebs in the...
I definitely recommend the group I mentioned will be very welcoming. I am somewhat active on it. The group moderator has a site therapeutichomeschooling.org that you may interested in checking out. Another thing that I wanted to throw out there is that at 5-6 we were considering more severe dx's, like the question of bipolar disorder or temporal lobe seizures, than we are now. The rages and anxieties were very scary, and he shows a great deal more self-control now at 7....
So sorry you are dealing with this. The doctor's story is bizarre. I don't know if you are looking for support from people whose kids have frequent bone breaks, but the Neurofibromatosis site (ctf.org) has people dealing with this who may be able to offer support even though it's a different genetic condition (in the NF1 and children forum). The bone differences sometimes present with NF1 usually show up in xrays, though, so they may not deal with abuse allegations...
I'm so sorry to read this, I can relate to what you are feeling on a lot of levels. I wanted to share a couple of thoughts. If you are into Waldorf beyond this particular school, there is a Waldorf Homeschoolers--special needs yahoo group that you may like. A number of the parents there have kids with spectrum conditions or bipolar disorder, and some have been asked to leave or not been admitted in the first place to Waldorf schools. I don't know if you've tried it,...
I've certainly dealt with it, though in our case it was really due to chronic constipation that didn't always look like that. With chronic constipation, the rectum gets stretched out like a balloon and the nerve response goes way down. Also, softer poop often leaks around firmer poop, so it doesn't look like constipation, more towards the other side, if anything. With my DS, while being absorbed in something would make it more likely he would have an accident, but it...
If the school doesn't have one, any lab probably would. Basically any place that ever does stool samples or labs where you need to collect all the urine over a period of time. My son had a bit of a time adjusting to that (it sounds different and there can be a bit of a backsplash issues, too, but he managed it. Much easier than having someone try to stick a hand, cupIt was a 24 hr study, and I still can't believe I pulled it off with a child in Goodnites who also had...
Quote: Originally Posted by JaneS Mineral oil can also impair absorption of many nutrients, be careful with it. This would be true of any oil used in a quantity sufficient to make a substantial difference (usually 1-2 T or more with a non-absorbed oil, about double for flaxseed oil or something the body absorbs). I'm curious, do you or anyone else happen to have a link to a study really showing the mineral oil substantially impairs nutrient...
Have you adusted fiber recently? It could actually be working so that he's clearing more poop out. Also, fiber can increase volume, sometimes dramatically, especially when it reduces hardness as well--I speak from personal experience managing DS's poop, not from any scientific study. Sherri
I hadn't read this story before, but one thing that popped out at me was that if pool officials asked whether the girl was dealing with only urinary and not fecal incontinence, which is not uncommon for some people (not us, we've mostly had the accidents reversed). Also, it could have been that the girl wears some sort of diaper under clothing only on, say, long car trips, because of a delayed response to detecting urgency (i.e., some people can wait 5 minutes from...