or Connect

Posts by JohannasGarden

Quote: Originally Posted by amama2six So far repetition seems to work the best (that's how I got him to point and say shhhh for fish). Something tells me that's not how his preschool teachers have been working with him; everything I've seen them do involves talking to him like he's going to suddenly understand and holding his hand while drawing pictures he obviously didn't do himself. It's all done ONCE, too, not repetitively like he needs...and it's...
I would have that corrected. I haven't always had more minor things corrected, but we homeschool and aren't doing much more in the way of eval's. Not only will the school read it, but any evaluation you do in future years will refer heavily to this one, and a future eval'er could wonder if you dispute things orally from the start, or they could copy them into future reports so that the mistake keeps replicating itself. Sherri
I think that some therapists will put fun, love, and genuine respect for a child into everything they do. If such a person becomes and ABA therapist, then ABA will address internal motivation, relational issues, and all that. If PikkuMyy (sp?) and a few other aba therapists I've read on this board were in my area I would investigate having my child work with them just because I love the way they think about the people they work with. You just sense respect and affection...
I just wanted to say to the mom whose ped was recommending going off miralax for an xray--you might want to research either a nuclear transist study or a Sitz marker study--in these you swallow something (plastic rings for the latter, haven't done the former, but it's supposedly even better) and the xray actually sees where they go. It can help distinguish between low overall colonic motility and backing up in the rectum due to bowel stretching. The distinction can be...
I would not consent to an overnight psych consult if you believe that would be traumatic, but are they also saying you couldn't be with him at all for a VEEG? That seems crazy to me. You may want him to have a rage episode while on the VEEG so they can read what's going on in his brain when they happen--I say this mostly because 1) he often has no memory of violent episodes and 2) there have been some out of the blue unprovoked espisodes. If you are exploring meds,...
I once heard the idea somewhere that you can tell how uncofortable a culture is with something by how many euphemisms a society makes for it and how quickly the old euphemisms start to be considered offensive. And there are lots of things in our society that, if you talk about them often, somebody somewhere will tell you that you are using the wrong words. I use autistic because I found Jim Sinclair's article that Brigianna linked to, as well as the writings of other...
I think he definitely needs a VEEG--48 hours if possible. Some kids with bipolar don't remember what they do during rages, but the school incident you described some time ago sounds so temporal lobe seizure-like (the one where he started to feel angry and then attacked another student for no reason). I think that EEG's often only pick up that sort of seizure if the child has a seizure during the EEG. When did the violent episodes begin? Wasn't that in the last few years...
I haven't, but I remember other parents discussing it's use and the research behind it on the ocdandparenting yahoo group. You could join that group and ask about it there. Most people were using both that and fish oil--I think the ocd advice would be similar to general anxiety advice. Sherri
If your child has seen a geneticist who looked at the spots (pref. w/ a wood's lamp/black light) and said they are Cafe au Lait's, I don't think you either need to see a dermatologist nor put any stock in what the dev. ped. said. CALs associated with NF1 can be very faint (, though not having clear boundaries can knock them out of consideration (but they can have clear boundaries only when viewed under a Woods lamp and be CALs). Also, the size criteria for NF1 is only .5...
I agree that an OT sounds more up your alley, assuming you don't have other developmental concerns. Another possibility might be a one visit second opinion with a pedi ortho who specializes in the hands. I would 1) call the office you have and appointment with that you want him screened for possible fine motor issues that would have a known physical cause but are not concerned about his overall development and whether this is the appropriate appt. (it still could be,...