or Connect

Posts by AugustineM

I've recently made a shift in our eating habits as I feel like we've been stuck in an eating rut -- eating much of the same things, not very healthy, my kids were requesting too much mac n cheese and sweets. The changes we've made are small but make a huge difference!!   First, we quit buying or serving almost anything out of a box or package. Second, we really upped the amount and variety of fruit and vegetables. My kids are now LOVING pomegranate, grapefruit, snap...
Yes, nice way to put it!   By the way, I apologize, I completely missed that hawk was your ds's name and made some typos in my earlier post.   Enjoy your journey!
zoebird, I definitely see what you're saying. I guess I would try to assuage your worries. Sounds like, if anything, he will do exceptionally well in school, being socially quite adept and sunny. My oldest son, who is 7, is that way, and it is such a blessing for him, though he can be so extremely sensitive to others that he has trouble filtering conflicts, etc. If anything, I think children that have tendancies towards antisocial behavior (aggression, extreme shyness,...
Also, just to point out, any schooling choice will have a variety of skill levels in any class. Some children will  be far ahead of others, no matter what the schooling choice is. It's the job of a good teacher to challenge and meet all children where they are academically. Part of what I like about Waldorf is that many aspects of the child are important, not just academics (well-roundedness is valued -- arts, music, handwork, as well as the traditional aspects).
I agree that the best waldorf teachers are often public school trained. It's actually a fairly common scenario, from what I've seen. I have a masters in teaching, taught public high school for four years but became fairly alienated from the approach, yet have loved what I've seen at waldorf school. I appreciate the education of the "head, heart and hands" and it felt like the heart (soul) was often left out of public. I don't know if I will get waldorf trained but right...
carseatqueen -- oh my!! that must have been a shock. congrats, though!!   I'm so bummed because I think I've gained 20-25 lbs with the mirena. 10lbs I gained right away, within the first month. It was so obvious. The rest has been more slowly... over a year. But I'm so depressed about it I'm considering getting it removed. I have no other weird symptoms that I can tell, except maybe lack of sex drive, but it could be other things. My eating hasn't changed at all and...
sorry, double post.    
Yeah, there certainly will be those long discussions about anthroposophy that she would have to sit through, and some people that will be totally into it. That could be pretty annoying but also there are teacher training intensives where the first year is basically condensed into 3-4 weeks. You do a month per summer, basically. And most of the other training is other things, not the heavy Steiner reading. So it wouldn't be too long to spend learning about the philosophy,...
I'm in much of the same situation as you. Considering teacher training, unsure about anthroposophy, but love what I see my kids getting at our waldorf school. I'm an assistAnt in the kindergarten class as well. Here's my thoughts. I think lots of anthroposophical approach and philosophy is interesting. And I do have some vague spiritual beliefs that jive with it. But I don't think I would ever believe it as solidly true. I guess I am quite agnostic myself. And many of my...
Out here in the northwest the starting pay is around 35-40k, depending on experience.