or Connect

Posts by Squirrelly

I think that's healthy--to let your husband air anything he may feel. Also, I realize that having my dogs sleep with me is hypocritical. I've also had my nephews sleep in my bed with me, although that's hardly enough experience. My dogs are very quiet and don't move once they've found a spot (they're Whippets, if anyone is interested). They are hardly akin to other dogs or children. Children develop and grow, whereas, despite what my dogs tell me, they stay at a...
I sent this thread to two of the couples I talked about. All of your comments have been so insightful--I have to admit that I didn't see all the angles of this issue, and I feel a bit more educated! Regarding our friends, each has some issue that I think could contribute to the problem. One bottle feeds, two breastfeed, and the bottle feeding mom is the most adamant about co-sleeping. Perhaps she wants a kind of closeness she doesn't get with feeding her son. ...
Yikes!! I never intended for this to be so...um...zesty, and for that, I'm sorry. I just wish both mothers and fathers would be equal partners in raising a kid, but I doubt that will ever happen. The friends I first mentioned are just getting a bit touchy about everything, which is why I thought I'd post here. I really do want to know how to talk to the fathers, since the mothers of these babies I mentioned seem to know what they're doing, but the fathers don't. ...
Some of my husband's friends have talked to their wives about this, and were yelled at--one had to stay at our house for a few days. I had no idea that this would be such a huge issue, but wow! It's THE thing within our group of friends and family.
There are fathers out there who probably love co-sleeping. That's really great! I wish all men felt that way. I'm just saying that there are some fathers who are afraid to say what they think, and feel terrible and trapped by their feelings--what they think no longer matters. They love their babies, but they don't like co-sleeping, and don't want to upset their wives. They don't want to hurt anyone, and so they play along. I've heard this from several of my husband's...
Babies are entirely dependent on their parents--that's not even an issue. But why do some mothers marginalize their husbands, when they are only trying to do what they're told? Yes, a baby needs his or her mother. But what about the father? I cannot understand why a mother would ignore and trivialize her husband about something they both created, and thusly both have responsibility. Women have been trying to get the fathers of their children to be more attentive...
Hi, all-- I'm writing this out of concern for some friends. My husband and I are friends with three couples who have had babies within the last five months. All the wives wanted to, and thusly do, have their babies sleep with them. As time went by, my husband and I heard from the husbands regarding this situation--and they were not happy at all. They felt their wives saw them as less important than the baby, they felt isolated, they felt they were not part of the...
This topic hits close to home for me. I was never allowed to trick-or-treat growing up, because my mother thought Halloween was evil. And she thought we were allergic to sugar, among other things. She's kinda whacky. She also thought Santa Claus was evil, so there you go. Now that I am an adult, I love Halloween. My husband and I dress up our dogs (last year they were actuaries), and I LOVE all the adorable kids that come to our door. We've had many parents take...
Thanks for the replies--you've all made excellent comments! Another thing she does--and this may be normal, I don't know--but she's always holding her son, and he sometimes will cry or scream to the point where any conversation is impossible. I'll say something like, "Oh, the little guy needs some attention--I'll call back later", but she always insists on trying to continue to talk. Meaning she talks to him to soothe him (which is great), but I end up silently...
Hi, all-- I've lurked here a bit and have posted a couple of times. Here is my current question to you all: I have an older sis, whose boy is two. He is a very cute and endearing boy, and I love him. The problem is that she is practically obsessed with him, to the point where it is impossible to have a conversation with her without it constantly reverting to her son, or to her talking to her son and ignoring me. We live over two hours apart from each other, and...