or Connect

Posts by bri276

Not only would I completely ban her from the internet (and get the computer in a public space, and put heavy parental controls on) I wouldn't allow her over any friend's houses until this is resolved. She could put herself and her friends in danger if she's anywhere near a computer. If you don't homeschool, let the teachers know there is a problem as well. Anywhere there are computers, she needs constant supervision to make sure she's nowhere near them, and hopefully you...
Since your DD has a language disorder, maybe do something visual... a sheet of paper divided into squares for each 5 minutes (or 3, or even 1) that you plan to be in the store, and put a sticker on the paper each time she finishes that amount of time with appropriate behavior (I'd start with maybe such a short interval of time that you can almost be sure taht she can experience some success)-- and then have her get some sort of external reward/positive consequence as a...
Those are the things I wish I was able to say to her, unfortunately, she doesn't understand.  If I had to put a number on her receptive language it's maybe 18 months to two years.  She's just beginning to grasp the meaning of "later".    I've thought about making a picture board with places and putting them in chronological order each morning, like first school, then grandma's house (or whatever).  If I could get her to understand that, then maybe she'd calm down if...
Yeah, I drink various regular sodas a few times a week.    I can't wait for Coke to come out with the stevia version. 
mekat- DD is 3p duplication and 18q- :hug:  Are you a member of CDO?            Well, I'm willing to be open minded.  Let's say I'm wrong and she's not choosing to have a tantrum only in certain settings when she doesn't get her way but that it's completely out of her control.  Now what?  In that case, there appears to be no solution except to avoid those situations entirely.   I mean, I agree to a certain extent that it's The Thing causing the behaviors, the root cause,...
It sounds like you're still processing your own births and breastfeeding experiences which might mean it's too difficult to be objective around others who are in the midst of it and maybe you should stay away if it's too emotional. Something I have repeated to myself often is "I have enough to worry about with my own children; let others worry about their own, too". That's not to say that I don't give advice if directly asked- but even then, a gentle approach is best. I...
    That's what everyone's answer actually is.  Unless you're in the position, you have no idea.  You might think you do, but you don't.   And who knows?  She might live to regret it.  Sometimes I regret having kids because I love them too damn much and the constant concern for their well being isn't something I deal with well.  I'm also not as good a mother as I thought I would be in some ways.   How does anyone know for sure until they do it?  Once they're here, it's...
  thanks for the responses so I don't feel as crazy as I probably am!  No, no meds.  It has mostly gone away now so maybe it was a weird hormonal fluctuation.  Hopefully it doesn't mean I'm getting my period back anytime soon!    
I re-read my OP and have to take out what I said about "most people's homes"- that's patently untrue and I must have posted without proofreading.  She is an ANGEL in MOST people's homes.         That's what I thought- I wonder if they have non-verbal techniques?         I certainly don't think she has rages for the fun of it, but she isn't out of control.  She is within her own control.  It's very clear.  I know things like this are difficult to describe without writing...
No, I don't think anyone can learn anything. I was always in AP classes for English and excelled, so the guidance counselor decided I was smart enough and also put me in AP chem and regular math classes.  In fact, I needed remedial math.  I cannot do long division right now (I could in high school).  I would have As in French, History and AP English and 30s in chemistry and algebra.  Clearly, one part of my brain did not develop along the same trajectory, and I truly...