or Connect

Posts by Lillian J

My son is a homeschool grad and I've seen a lot of homeschooled kids grow up. I can honestly say that your son would lose nothing if he just played for the next few years and never had to hear the word "school." That doesn't mean he wouldn't be learning a lot and discovering the joy of learning - it just means that learning at his age doesn't need to come in a school-like package, and that the 3Rs don't need to be begun so early in order for him to be perfectly...
That reminded me of some of the stories I've heard from a man I know who's helped a lot of kids over the past decades get from one stage of their education to another - mostly from high school to college. Wes "worked in public schools for 31 years, mostly in high schools, and in a private school for one year. He taught science, math, and English, and directed programs for gifted and 'at-risk' kids. He wised up in 1993, left the system, and has since then directed Beach...
Oh, that's great!     
Great idea! And meanwhile, here's a thread that has quite a bit! need research support...   Lillian
No arguments coming from me - I totally agree. Homeschooling provides the opportunity for learning to be a lot more natural and inspiring.      Lillian    
How soon is he likely to go into a school?  I think you probably have lots of time to relax and have fun with all this instead of being concerned about getting the right curricula. Turning more to easy going games could help in both reading and math.   He's still young for reading, but from what you say, it seems to me he's doing pretty well at it. I'd try to ease out of curricula a bit and more into just enjoying some of the great picture books that have fun text...
  I've been involved in the past with many of these conferences, and it's hard to even begin to describe how wonderful they are. I'm posting this early because the Early Bird rate deadline is Valentine's Day. Here's a brief description from the website:            So much more than just a conference - it's a celebration, a party, a statewide gathering of homeschoolers and their families or learning, friendship, support, and fun!    Featuring some of...
I've been involved in the past with many of these conferences, and it's hard to even begin to describe how wonderful they are. I'm posting this early because the Early Bird rate deadline is Valentine's Day. Here's a brief description from the website:            So much more than just a conference - it's a celebration, a party, a statewide gathering of homeschoolers and their families or learning, friendship, support, and fun!   Featuring some of the...
  No, the parent doesn't need to be involved in the play, but they can and will be a part of it at times, and a parent might pop in unobtrusively from time to time to offer fun imaginative ideas and materials. I think it's important to think in terms of being available, though, rather than getting so distracted as to forget priorities - and to be conscious of providing an environment that supports lots of imaginative and physically satisfying experiences. That can mean...
The idea is that their play in itself is the most productive thing of all right now. Their play is rich in learning and imagining that is the foundation for all future learning - even though it's not learning about numbers or letters or school things. They have years and years ahead of them later for all the rest.     Lillian