or Connect

Posts by Lillian J

I forgot to mention that my son became a voracious reader as soon as he started reading literature on his own at age 12, and still is today in his adult years. He had attended Waldorf kindergarten for two years, and they really discouraged reading books to the children - they told a lot of fairy tales at school and encouraged us to tell stores at home but not get into books yet. I went along with things then that I wouldn't to along with now, but I don't think there was...
Early Childhood Experts: Play Should Top Preschool Agenda   Citing Gordon Neufeld, author of the 2006 book, Hold On To Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers:   "According to the news story, Neufeld says that children between the ages of 4 and 6 aren't ready to learn by working because their brains aren't quite ready for the task. The brain "only gets wired at between 5 and 7 years of age," Neufeld says in the news report.   Play, on the other...
I think he's way too young for you to have to concern yourself about either art or literature. He sounds like a curious and active child who's already learning a lot about the world, and I'd just try to give him all the encouragement and support he'd like for those things. Most of all, at his age, I'd support lots of goalless play of his own choosing. There's lots and lots of time in the years to come when he can be exposed to art and literature in ways that are...
There's a pretty good thread her in MDC that had to do with decompression and deschooling time.  And it has links to other articles on the subject. I think there are some practical ideas there about how to go about it. I'm on the run, but will check in later with more!         Lillian    
  Absolutely! And this is the greatest gift in homeschooling. People often start it to get away from problems they've encountered in school or because they feel they'll be able to provide a better education - but then they find that that the world opens up in a way they've never even dreamed of. Enjoy!  Lillian
I just remembered this older thread - there's extensive input in it from parents of children that age and older, their stories, worries, and successes. The original poster's child, and those of others, also hated to write:   "I have a 7 year old non reader" support group   Lillian  

Oh, that's funny! I'd thought it was an abbreviation of some particular type of writing disorder!  - Lillian      
    I'm not familiar with the term IME, but I've read a lot about various learning issues and have seen it repeated over and over that children who are dealing with one are usually seen as lazy or defiant because of not wanting to cooperate with traditional teaching techniques and/or writing.    Another thing to consider - and I've seen this mentioned many, many times over the years - is that it's not at all uncommon for writing to be very physically tedious and...
One thing about educational/homeschooling/parenting philosophies is that they really tend to change  as time goes on and as we experiment and stretch and learn more and more about ourselves and our individual children. The way I thought by the time my child had moved from homeschooling into college was entirely different from the way I'd thought before I started and during the first year or so.   One thing I have in common among parents I've known well whose...