or Connect

Posts by Lillian J

This isn't a book, but a section of my (non-commercial) website has lots of annotated links to websites that provide great ideas, many of which are not as likely to be found in a book  - and above the annotated links is a box that has links to articles, some of which also include ideas about learning activities.   preschool and kindergarten learning activities   Lillian    
And, by the way, I meant "successful" in terms of being recognizable and well known in their fields, which is the kind of thing that someone just beginning to consider homeschooling can readily appreciate.  - Lillian    
  Only if posted by someone who is not a homeschooler - it would have to be initiated by someone who is intimately involved with schools already. I'm most definitely interested in that subject - most children go to school, and we're all in this together, in my opinion, but I don't necessarily qualify as someone who has any business trying to initiate the conversation, because my child was not in school after 1st grade.   - Lillian
There are always people coming into this forum wondering whether homeschooling is a good idea, whether their children will be missing out on important things, etc.  - this provides some food for thought in that these comments come from some perfectly successful people. I think it could be taken as insulting to post it in a forum where people have pretty much made a choice for schooling.   - Lillian    
  Article in Psychology Today:     What Einstein, Twain, and Forty Eight Other Creative People Had to Say About Schooling  
Article in Psychology Today:     What Einstein, Twain, and Forty Eight Other Creative People Had to Say About Schooling    
This question came as a surprise to me, because I didn't realize there was a big preference one way or another. I can tell you, though, that my son brought indescribable joy into my life, and is still an amazing blessing now in his adult years. And there are lots of special times you can have with a son that wouldn't be the same with a daughter - just as the reverse is true. I loved every bit of the time he was growing up, and have been so moved to see what a lovely and...
It seems to me that a lot of the problems that have been mentioned are just from the fact that this is part of the Internet - there are all types of people with all types of philosophies and backgrounds coming into what was once a quieter little neighborhood with more shared values. I haven't seen much in the way of snarkiness or animosity in the homeschool forum - in fact, I didn't even know it was allowed anywhere in the site, so much of this thread has come as quite a...
Absolutely!         Lillian    
I don't know why I didn't think earlier about this old thread - it has a lot of helpful and reassuring input regarding that age and even older:  "I have a 7 year old non-reader" support group.  I agree with Karen and Laundrycrisis regarding looking into dyslexia and vision skill deficiencies. Vision skill training made a dramatic difference for my son at the age of 12 - he had been reading fine by then, but it was labored, and he didn't enjoy it, and the therapy...