or Connect

Posts by Lillian J

I think that, at her age, I'd sort of back away from the idea of memorizing multiplication facts yet - she'll be picking them up just by messing around with them, and there's probably more satisfaction in that, in that she'll be seeing the connections as she goes and learning them in a more concrete way. But here are a few online resources: http://sandradodd.com/timestables http://www.multiplication.com/teach/classroom-games http://www.multiplication.com/games A...
Whoops. Looks like I must have accidentally posted this twice within a few minutes - I guess it wasn't clear that it had worked on the first attempt.    Lillian
You can find lots of great stuff in the annotated educational, subject divided, links in the pages linked to below, although very few are what we'd label curricula. I started this set of links years ago for a state homeschool association's website, and they eventually decided it was too much work to keep up, so they handed it over to me for my own noncommercial site:    A Homeschooling Gateway to the Internet Enjoy! Lillian
  Ah! Glad you thought to notice the difference. That makes a lot more sense.   - Lillian
  Good point. I'd assumed he was only referring to a tiny village, but it's not a tiny village at all. Here's the Wikipedia writeup: Wonchi.   Lillian  
If you do decide you'll miss out too much on local things you can do because of K12, can you manage to stay with them with a bare minimum of input? In other words, with just enough effort to stay in the program but not everything they ask? It's not as if you see the benefit in doing it their way, so it wouldn't be like just not living up to a commitment. It seems to me that he's developing a pretty negative image of how learning works.    Even if he did absolutely no...
  Hang in there. You mention your own depression and that you're feeling sad and overwhelmed right now. Might it be that he's more emotionally tuned in to you than is obvious? I'm wondering about the possibility that he's more sensitively tuned in to your lead than your other son, even if he isn't thinking about it consciously. You're obviously interested in some fun things, but I wonder if he's picking up a lack of joy in them. Just some thoughts to ponder. But I do...
A jaw-dropping little video about those Ethiopian children who explored and learned from the Motorola tablets given to them with no instruction! From Fareed Zacharia: "Ethiopia has one of the highest illiteracy rates in the world, and the village of Wonchi is no exception. Nobody there can read or write. That’s why I was astonished when I saw what Nicholas Negroponte’s One Laptop per Child organization did there. They dropped 20 Motorola tablets, preloaded with...
A jaw-dropping little video about those Ethiopian children who explored and learned from the Motorola tablets given to them with no instruction! From Fareed Zacharia: "Ethiopia has one of the highest illiteracy rates in the world, and the village of Wonchi is no exception. Nobody there can read or write. That’s why I was astonished when I saw what Nicholas Negroponte’s One Laptop per Child organization did there. They dropped 20 Motorola tablets, preloaded with...
I'll try to keep my response in a nutshell. I found no school that could meet the individual needs of my child. When I thought about homeschooling, I suddenly realized what a joy it could be to set our own schedule, stay up as late as we pleased to read books or do whatever we wanted, travel and go on field trips whenever we pleased, and pursue whatever ways of learning that were perfect for my son. We would not have to put up with some teacher's notions of how he should...