or Connect

Posts by Lillian J

Absolutely. This is something I've heard many times over the years. Rushing to buy things is more often than not a waste of money. Even worse, it often puts a parent in the position of trying to force something on children that really isn't suitable for them, and that leads to anxiety for both the parent and the child.   The most helpful thing in starting out is to relax into it, reading fun or interesting things to the children, playing games with them, doing little...
I think you'll have better luck with it here if you rework your questions. Homeschoolers don't think in terms of fitting in activities after a work week or during weekends, for instance. And it's hard for most homeschoolers to think in terms of "outside activities" separate from their ongoing educational lifestyle that's happening at home and all around the community (or world).  My family was fortunate in having the resources to travel together and pursue interests...
Before settling for a one package curriculum, I'd strongly suggest going to the FUN-Books website and spending some time browsing all the amazing things that can be used for subjects across the spectrum - especially in view of your concern for art minded kids. I always liked the idea that different sources specialize in subjects whereas a curriculum company is trying to do it all. And besides that, I found that we didn't need nearly as much as I'd originally thought -...
  Oh! I hadn't thought of that! I hope they had/have some Internet access. But yes, it's pretty exciting either way!   Lillian
Given Tablets But No Teachers, Ethiopian Kids Teach Themselves     Excerpt:    Earlier this year, OLPC workers dropped off closed boxes containing the tablets, taped shut, with no instruction. “I thought the kids would play with the boxes. Within four minutes, one kid not only opened the box, found the on-off switch … powered it up. Within five days, they were using 47 apps per child, per day. Within two weeks, they were singing ABC songs in the village, and...
Given Tablets But No Teachers, Ethiopian Kids Teach Themselves Excerpt:  Earlier this year, OLPC workers dropped off closed boxes containing the tablets, taped shut, with no instruction. “I thought the kids would play with the boxes. Within four minutes, one kid not only opened the box, found the on-off switch … powered it up. Within five days, they were using 47 apps per child, per day. Within two weeks, they were singing ABC songs in the village, and within five...
I just ran across this article I thought might be helpful: Homeschooling Through Difficulties    It had been posted online by Parent at the Helm, another great resource, published by homeschooling author, Linda Dobson.   Lillian
 Sounds as if there's deep challenge and growth coming out of all this, as is so often the case in such times. Wishing you all the smoothest journey possible in the coming months.   Lillian
The first thing that somehow popped into my mind was the collection of children's science books by Vicki Cobb - they're things children can explore and learn on their own, or with a parent, and get a lot of satisfaction from - and there are samples from them on her website.   But a major resource  was the Boomerang kids' audio magazine about "big ideas." There are samples on the website! Boomerang!    Here's the review I wrote posted in this forum:  Boomerang! I...
Regarding the idea of letting him teach you something. I think that could be pretty helpful. If you were to ask him to teach you how to play one of his video games, for instance, it's pretty unlikely he would have you practice over and over how to use the controller, but would just show you how to use it, and let you go ahead and handle it in your own way, stepping in, if clearly needed, to clarify it if you fumble or get frustrated along the way. He wouldn't stop you at...