or Connect

Posts by Lillian J

You can read what the legal team of the HomeSchool Assn. of California (HSC), says about it here - the private school affidavit. They feel it's important to prepare all the other required documentation at the beginning of the school year, even though the affidavit isn't taken until Oct. 1. Excerpt:  "The fact that the affidavits are filed after the school year typically starts is not a problem. No private school can file before October 1, and the state does not claim...
For whatever it's worth, I'll pass on something that kind of stunned me today. I was cleaning out a storage space my family had moved things into when we moved out of a house we'd been in for many years. I was trying to figure out which were the boxes my son had asked me to save, and the first thing I saw was a notebook with a copy of his college application essay. The few lines I read went something like this: "I was homeschooled, and the educational path we followed...

I think creating a rich play environment - things set up to enhance gross motor and imaginative play - would be a great addition, since today's kindergartens leave free play out and discount its value. My (noncommercial) set of links lead to lots of enrichment ideas of all kinds: preschool and kindergarten learning activities.  There are some ideas within the articles listed at the top, and below those are links to websites full of ideas.  Sure sounds like fun!   ...
  Sounds quite realistic. To make decisions in advance about how the unknown - the future - is going to be causes all too many people to put themselves in a state of frustration. Taking everything as it comes is going to feel ever so much more relaxed and natural. Have fun!  Lillian
I started out thinking we were going to do school at home - and I was excited about all the fun and creative things we could do within that format.  I soon found out, though, that what we could do was actually a lot more exciting and fulfilling than the kind of things I'd been envisioning. Here's an article I wrote years ago that tells a bit about that, and has comments from my son and his dad about how they experienced it. And here's one I wrote after cleaning out our...
  I'm not familiar with what they do for kindergarten, but I'd sure be surprised if they mostly gave suggestions for play based activities. And a little boy just turning 5 is going to be awfully young, IMOHO, for much else. My own would have been horrified by any sort of reading or writing demands at that age. It was pushing his limits just to make stabs at drawing things of his choosing with a crayon - and I wouldn't have asked him to do even that, but he was in a...
"In the past, the only way to get professional credibility was with a college degree. Now young people are using many different tools to gain a foothold in the business world." The Glorious End of Higher Education’s Monopoly on Credibility     - Lillian
  Here's a site with a lot of input from other sources :   Homeschooling is Legal   Lillian
Just found this news article from The Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood: Reclaiming Childhood from Corporate Marketers :  Your Baby Can Read program shuts down due to the cost of legal pressures     Lillian