or Connect

Posts by Lillian J

I added this in the General forum:   Hard Times in Paradise is the best one for that - it's fascinating and inspiring to read about the way they all pitched in and worked so hard together to build the homestead. It's available for as little as 68 cents through Amazon!  Hard Times in Paradise.    Grant didn't learn to read till he was nine years old, by the way!   Here's a great article about them in the Harvard Crimson while two of them were attending...
Hard Times in Paradise is the best one for that - it's fascinating and inspiring to read about the way they all pitched in and worked so hard together to build the homestead. It's available for as little as 68 cents through Amazon!  Hard Times in Paradise.    Grant didn't learn to read till he was nine years old, by the way!   Here's a great article about them in the Harvard Crimson while two of them were attending Harvard: Homeschoolers are at home at Harvard   Here's an...
    President Obama Announces Grant Colfax as New Director of the Office of National AIDS Policy Grant Colfax is the eldest of the four sons homeschooled while building the family homestead and goat farm with their parents, David and Micki Colfax. The Colfaxes wrote about their homeschooling experiences in two inspiring books: Homeschooling for Excellence, and Hard Times in Paradise.     Although traditional learning materials were discussed in the first book,...
  President Obama Announces Grant Colfax as New Director of the Office of National AIDS Policy   Grant Colfax is the eldest of the four sons homeschooled while building the family homestead and goat farm with their parents, David and Micki Colfax. The Colfaxes wrote about their homeschooling experiences in two inspiring books: Homeschooling for Excellence, and Hard Times in Paradise.     Although traditional learning materials were discussed in the first book,...
Mine isn't actually a blog yet (one of these days maybe I'll add one in), but it's a noncommercial website where I've assembled articles about learning and homeschooling, and links to other related sites. It has a huge set of annotated links to interesting educational sites of all kinds, called Homeschooling Gateway to the Internet -  so many that I'd recommend first scrolling through the menus before starting to click on links. I avoided links to the type of children's...
  Why, thank you! Sorry that I somehow missed your post earlier, but do feel free to quote away.    Lillian
  I don't mean to minimize the situation in the least - it sounds pretty overwhelming - but something just popped into my mind One small bit of relief might be a sand table. I know they use them in some private schools for relaxing children who are having trouble settling down. They have little figures and things in them that can be used to set up and act out stories.    I hope something works out for you all before long.     Lillian    
Oh, dear - sounds like you might sending yourself into as many directions as I've been doing. I'm trying to focus on slowing down and living in the moment as I recover from breaking my arm because of falling onto a sidewalk while digging around in my purse for my keys.     - Lillian    
 GMTA - that's the same video I posted to a few posts up.   My child went to Waldorf for two years of kindergarten, and then to a little alternative school for 1st grade, so I didn't start homeschooling with the idea of the way things are generally done here. We did a little of this and a little of that, and morphed into unschooling. When my son wrote his essays for college admission, one thing he wrote was about how much he valued the educational freedom he'd been given...
    Absolutely! And there are a lot of wonderful ways to structure time other than with traditional schoolwork. There are also lots of delightful things to learn about the world that can make a child feel good about his abilities.     Lillian