or Connect

Posts by NicoleElizabeth

You'll probably be amazed at the difference! Our dd had always struggled with handwriting (I remember in kindergarden she clearly had the messiest printing in the whole class), and by third grade, I was investigating dyslexia and dysgraphia for her handwriting and spelling difficulties -- her grades were definitely starting to suffer from these issues. I was shocked when she went for a routine eye exam and the doctor told us she needed reading glasses! I had never even...
Yes, this is very typical for a Korean MIL -- they're kind of notorious Is your husband the eldest son? That always makes it worse. I am caucasian, married to a Korean-American, but my husband's mother passed away when he was a boy, so I don't deal with this myself, so I'm afraid I don't have any great tips for you. I get along well with my MIL, but since she's my husband's step-mother, and didn't marry my FIL until my husband was 15 years old, she doesn't have that...
Kelley -- It's not just your dentist, it happens here too. My 3 year old had root canals on his two top front teeth a year ago after a fall damaged them both. The dentist was not sure she could save the teeth, as she thought there was a pretty good chance of abcess, so they were filled rather than capped after the root canal. We've had to replace the fillings twice so far, and the dentist said that it was quite common. In my ds's case, it's made worse because one of the...
There was just a tiny bit of blood, and it was difficult to see where it was coming from -- it almost seemed to be from the hole where the filling was missing -- it definitely was not from the gums around the top of the tooth. (edited to add: the root canal was originally done a month ago, the filling fell out this past weekend) Yes, the trauma to the teeth was significant, and the root canal was done only to try and save the teeth because he is so young -- both this...
Thanks for your answers -- the dentist did mention that she wasn't surprised he'd lost the filling. The capping situation was kind of confusing -- the first time we discussed it, I got the impression that it would merely be cosmetic (since with filling, the teeth now look greeny-gray), and it seemed like a lot of money to pay for baby teeth. Then at the last appointment, the dentist said something that seemed to indicate that she would cap the teeth in the future -- but...
Hi all! Has anyone had problems with their little one's fillings due to breastfeeding? My 30 month old had root canals done on his two top front teeth last month after a bad fall. Because he is so young, the dentist just filled them rather than capping them after the root canals. He still nurses once or twice a day, and the dentist did not see any problem with his nursing even right after the root canals. A few days ago, he suddenly stopped nursing and started crying,...
I see that the original poster has already decided, but wanted to weigh in in case anyone is reading this trying to decide what to do. My 29 month old son fell hard on his front teeth, breaking one, and ended up needing root canals on both top front teeth. My dentist strongly recommended the papoose board/oral sedation route over general anesthesia, and we decided that this would be best. The sedative made my son sleepy, but not much else. I had been worried that the...
The pertussis vaccine does have waning effectiveness as children get older -- that is why you will see most cases in an outbreak in school-age children. The reason there is no booster is because pertussis is usually not life-threatening in older children and adults, and with a high vaccination rate, outbreaks are unlikely. Pertussis is very dangerous to babies, which is why the vaccine is given so early.
That's quite an ordeal to go through as an introduction to new motherhood! It's so hard to have a baby hospitalized -- my ds had to spend four days in the hospital starting at five days old, and it was very difficult. Please let us know how you two are doing now that you are back home.
Our transition was very smooth also -- dd was a month shy of 3 years old when ds was born. Like a couple other posters, I had a high-needs #1 who totally overwhelmed me when she was born -- going from none to one was a total shock, leaving me feeling like a hurricane had swept through my life. Compared to that, #2 was a piece of cake! One thing is that you appreciate how easy the newborn period can be when you're used to the more complex issues that come up with a 2 year...