or Connect

Posts by QueenOfTheMeadow

Awww!  That's awesome!  There is something absolutely amazing about seeing kids who have struggled with things succeed.  It makes your heart feel like it's expanding!      My oldest son, who is on the autism spectrum, had a really really rough time with behavior from 4-6th grade.  In 7th grade, things started to turn around.  By 8th he was blooming.  He's now a freshman in highschool and he's been on high honor or honor roll all year. He has been running JV and varsity...
Oh yes!  My middle son did that at that age and will occasionally do stuff like that.  I vaguely remember feeling that way as a child.  Sometimes it helps for him to wrap himself up in a blanket really tightly.  I suspect it's a sensory related issue. 
contactmaya- One of the things I love so much about the special needs parenting is the open and respectful discussion that takes place here.  I might be biased, having moderated this forum for many years, but I think it is truly one of the most supportive forums on the board.  One of the things that is helpful in creating that feeling is to give each other the benefit of the doubt when we see a post that we are unsure of.  Asking for clarification before accusations...
That is wonderful you were able to find a therapist like that!  You definitely need to find a therapist that is willing to take into account your parenting goals and one that you trust well enough to be willing to try things you haven't thought of yet.  I'm glad you didn't take offense that I mentioned about sometimes having to change our parenting expectations.  I just know how heartbreaking it can sometimes be to have to do that.  So many parents, myself included have...
 That is so hard!  I'd try to take into account that good excitement can have a very similar effect chemically on the body as bad stress.  So it may be that the physical reaction to the surprise just caused her to go into an anxious state.  As for getting professionals involved, I'd say trust your instincts.  This seems like it goes above and beyond what you would expect for her age.  The thing with getting outside help is that you don't even have to have your child take...
Perhaps you wouldn't have to go to any more funerals if you didn't lay off the margaritas (remember when SweetSilver got drunk at Auntie's funeral and danced on the tables at the restaurant? Maybe we should discourage her from coming this time.) ? Just kidding! I hope that you do get some down time soon.
I second reading The Explosive Child.  It's an amazing book!     One other thing to think about is that when you have a child who has special needs, sometimes you have to adjust your parenting plans.  I know that I was planning to be very free and easy as a parent, letting the wind take us where we would go.  Well, one child on the autism spectrum who needed to really be regimented to feel secure in the world changed all that.  It went totally against the way I wanted to...
LOL!  That's great!
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think calling someone lazy is writing them off. I know if someone had decide to just label my middle son as lazy, because he didn't get his homework done, they'd be writing him off. Thankfully, his teachers realized that there was a lot more going on than that. Turns out the kid is incredibly gifted with a learning disability. When supports were put in place, the kid has bloomed. He still has anxiety issues that we're all...