or Connect

Posts by BethSLP

I am reading this thread with interest.  My children have had no shots (other than one DTaP for my daughter in infancy before I quit getting shots).   I have always said I would have titres drawn when they were older (esp. for rubella as we go into childbearing years).  That said, I feel weird about it.  Because while my pediatrician is understanding about my choice not to vaccinate, I feel awkward about asking for titres...esp. if they show nothing.  and then...
I am a speech pathologist, and I disagree with George.  If everyone brought every child who stutters the moment stuttering begins, it would be a mess.  The fact is, most kids stutter at some point.  The general rule of thumb is that if they are stuttering consistently for 6 months, then you could consider taking them to an SLP.  That said, the most recent literature review I read said up to 18 months could be normal and it is completely OK to take a "wait and see"...
Hi there,   I am an SLP.  I can't know for sure since I've not seen your son, but I can say that from your description it does not sound like true stuttering.   Stuttering is considered to be "true stuttering" when it consists of prolongations, blocks, syllable repetitions or a combination of those three.  prolongations are a longer sound like "I ssssssssssaw something."  blocks are silent moments where it appears the person is frozen and no air comes out.  It...
I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to add that Kindle will work with library check out later this year.  The CEO of amazon just announced it last month.  I know this is a major reason a lot of people have chosen the Nook, and now it will be on an even par with library check out.   XOX B
Efagan,   Please explain to me how any of the current evaluations can actually pinpoint a problem with the CANS and rule out receptive and expressive language delays or attention problems.   The problem with the construct of CAPD is that the tests used currently DO NOT at all demonstrate a problem with the CANS.  The TAPS is a horrible test and most kids bomb it.  Look at the manual on the TAPS can check out its reliability.  Its laughable.  They state in their...
My favorite comment from an MDCer that I heard once-  When someone asked her how long she was going to nurse her DS, she said "it depends on whether he goes to college in state or out."  HAHAHHA.   I am still nursing my 22 month old DS and will continue as long as its good for both of us.  I try not to nurse him in public mostly because it bugs me and I don't think he needs to.  But I think I probably did NIP longer with my DD.  I can't remember at this...
There is a documentary on Netflix Watch Instantly called "Paperclips."  It is the story of a small town in Tennessee (which is not so diverse) and how the children began a project about the holocaust where they asked people to send in paperclips to collect to represent the millions that died.  The students could not conceive of the sheer number of those lost.  They decided to collect paperclips because the paper clip was a symbol for support of the jews back in WWII...
just wanted to pop in here and say that your son is COMPLETELY ADORABLE.  seriously, he is a nugget <3   I'm a googler too.  I know I would be doing the same as you, but there is a wide range of possibilities for every child (even ones who share the same syndrome or diagnosis).   I remember when I worked in a hospital (I'm a speech pathologist), and consults would come over the computer to our dept.  This meant we needed to go to the patient's bedside to do an...
I appreciate all your thoughts.  I think I should probably scrap the idea.  I did ask a supervisor and they said its fine to give a gift to a kid if we want to and that they have done it in the past.     Stik, its a good point you raise too about it being "extravagant."  I never thought about it this way.  Its $30 (which is more than I would normally spend) but I guess I just wanted to give her something nice.  But it probably does not communicate that I'm no longer...
Hi mamas,   I am a speech pathologist and for the first time, I am working with high school students this year.  One student I have grown particularly close to this year.  She is a 15 and in a foster home.  Her life has not been an easy one.    For a number of reasons, she will be dismissed from my services at the end of the month.  I was thinking of giving her a gift.  However, I have some concerns.    This student is prone to anxiety, esp. about her home. ...