or Connect

Posts by hopefulfaith

Thanks!  This is a lot to think about - I appreciate the responses!  :)
So, my kids are 6 and 5, and winters here range from 5-7 months of snow and awfulness.  They are just big enough where playing in the house all day is really, really hard without getting energy out with some gross motor movement .... but sometimes, I just can't let them out for hours on end when the temperature is -10 and the wind brings it to -20 to -30.  I'm anticipating the months ahead of me (!) and thinking about making a Wii a family Christmas gift in lieu of the...
My son did that once, when he was five.  It turns out that when I had the kids go into quiet time in their rooms (30 minutes, all by yourself-time), my son thought he simply wasn't allowed to come out of his room for any reason, even to go to the bathroom, so he peed in his closet.  :(   I clarified that rule for him - and reinforced all of the stuff he needed to know (bathroom is the only place we pee in the house, etc.; we don't disrespect our home by doing this,...
It depends, for me.   I probably fit the demographic and I'm a longtime listener/member; it is my primary news source, I'd say.   In the morning, when we're eating breakfast, I turn it on and we listen while we eat - if the story is too far out there for a 6 and 4.5yo to really get the context, etc., I will turn it off.  The kids are pretty well informed for their ages, but I'm not a diehard "must listen at all costs" and give the kids nightmares  (as happened...
My husband's job only permits us to live up to 7-8 hours away from my family.  Our next move will probably put us in the 15 hour range, it looks like.  I am really familiar with "schlepping fatigue", as we are the ones who travel every single time.  My mom tries to make the drive up here once every year or two, but we are pretty much always the ones who pack the suitcase and head out for every major holiday and a few times for vacations.   Relationships are different...
This is a really interesting discussion.   I would be annoyed if my friend were constantly cancelling plans with me, for whatever reason.  However, I really don't think that I get to decide what a good reason is for her.     When plans are cancelled with my family, my kids are sometimes bummed about it.  I'm okay with this.  I do (obviously) express my sympathy and will actively involve my kids in "Well, Jack's mom said they can't come to the playground this...
I won't address the hitting - I think that's a different ballgame than using words - but I just wanted to share that my ds (now 6) went through an almost-yearlong period of putting together different scenarios that, combined, were really awful phrases:  "I wish a giant dinosaur would come and poop on our house and you would be in it and your EYES would be filled with poop!"  ... and so on, just to tell us how mad he was at us.  Put any ridiculous combination together,...
I can't stand hearing chewing noises.  I generally play low, background music at dinner and encourage dinner conversation to drown out the lip & mouth sounds.   (An aside:  the best consequence of this has been sharing my music with my kids, and they are currently on a Paul Simon kick.  They can also sing most of the Beatles now, too.  :)  I have to say that I love that.)
Your list looks like my brain.  ;)   Also, a cushion with C on it because the pattern was nicer than an S is going to make me giggle all day.  I can't decide what her motive was, but I'm all in favor of using the hell out of it.  Use it until it dies a slow, curry-stained death.
Nice work!!  I've been following along and rooting for you.  :)