or Connect

Posts by hopefulfaith

I was thinking about this recently, as I have read "Organized Simplicity" and "Miss Minimalist" again over the past month.   I think ollyoxenfree said it best with the example about one knife vs. a whole set of knives, paring down vs. asceticism -- I was wondering if I was a minimalist, but then I decided I am not.  I have more than one set of sheets per bed, for example, but I do keep them all in one spot in the house and organized by color and size, and I...
My dh's brother did not attend our wedding, and it hurt him deeply, though he would never say that to him.   Go.  If your brother grandfathered your kids into an otherwise kid-free wedding, he really wants you there.
I've been a nurse in several metropolitan/urban ERs, and I have witnessed people coming off of their corners with their signs in hand ("Please Help Me", etc.) and getting in to their cars in the ED parking lot.  One guy, who had insurance, came to be seen in one particular ED and asked us to put his sign behind our desk so someone didn't take it.  He walked out to his car afterward, which was in the ED parking lot (free) and went home after a day of panhandling and a...
Now that my above rant is out of the way , thanks for posting the link to the Zinn Project.  I've been looking for even younger materials than these (my kids are 6 and almost 5), but this is a good start.  It makes me want to write my own kids' book!
"This full-color illustrated book is a fun way for parents to teach young children the valuable lessons of conservatism. Written in simple text, readers can follow along with Tommy and Lou as they open a lemonade stand to earn money for a swing set. But when liberals start demanding that Tommy and Lou pay half their money in taxes, take down their picture of Jesus, and serve broccoli with every glass of lemonade, the young brothers experience the downside to living in...
I was thinking about this today, actually.   All of the above are really good reasons, I think, and I will only add this:  I have a pretty decluttered home - I don't care much for knickknacks unless they're super special to me .... the kids' toys all have a place & are usually there unless they're being played with at some point ... we make our beds and tidy rooms each day, etc., etc.   A lady asked if she could come over today to look at something we are...
My dh travels a fair amount, and I needed to know that I could plan on being able to pay the bills, etc., from our "family" money.   What worked for me was us going down to the credit union and establishing an entirely separate account for him (with me on there for emergencies) that he can spend as he needs/pleases.  I have money transferred automatically from every paycheck into that account and he can spend/save as he needs to with it.   I don't even want to...
I do, too.  :)  I just checked it out, and bookmarked it.  Keep writing, please!
My bank also pours them into a coin machine and just applies the amount to my account.  I've never had a fee.
I have had similar conversations, and always the thing in the back of my mind is that I don't think Jesus would condone hitting children.  I don't think Jesus would have hit them.  I have not said that point-blank, because then the conversation (I think) would turn into "My interpretation of religion is better than yours" and I hate those discussions.   I have pointed mothers toward the Gentle Christian Parenting website, and Dr. Sears has a book about Christian...