or Connect

Posts by hopefulfaith

I've been trying to increase the amount of fruit and vegetables in my diet, and I've recently started running/biking in the early morning before the kids get up.  When I get back, I drink water and have been throwing fruit/veg into my blender with some ice cubes --- usually apples, bananas, strawberries, and a small handful of spinach.  It seemed like a nice way to get some produce in for breakfast.   The volume is sufficient that it fills me up until lunchtime, but...
I saw your post on the front page & couldn't not respond.  (((hugs))) to you.   My ds cried every night from 5-9pm, from weeks 4 to 14.   We did everything the pps have listed, and nothing really helped.  We mostly endured it.  It was heinous, and I ended up redefining "the grandma hours" as being so awful that only a grandma could sit and rock this screaming child without completely losing her mind.  ;)   Colic sucks.  However, it ends.  ((Thank God, or I...
We save automatically, with direct deposit out of each paycheck.   Also, what really worked for me was opening up a totally separate account at a bank I barely frequent to do that.  All of our 'family' banking is done at Bank A, and I do it all online:  short-term savings, checking, car loan, etc.  However, I don't want our "emergency fund savings" mixed up in everyday money, if that makes sense, and I don't want it to be immediately accessible/visible when dh or I...
I would go myself or maybe, if we could swing it, have both my dh and I go.  I would not pay to have the rest of the kids to go unless they were absolutely obsessed with their sister's music and would be devastatingly heartbroken if I didn't.  ;)   I danced when I was in school, and attended a summer intensive one summer.  My sister and brother were supportive, but they didn't _need_ to see me dance at the final program.  I doubt this many years later they ever...
I never thought it was written to ever be read to children, actually.  I think the reason it is so funny is that it is sort of the "bedtime book for adults" - sometimes what we're _thinking_ about when we put our very young children to sleep - but never to be read to them, of course.   I remember rocking my 13 month old and trying to lay him down, etc., when I was 9 months pregnant with #2.  The thoughts in that book were exactly what was going through my head, to be...
I wouldn't touch the money until my marriage issues were worked out, honestly.  I would put it all in an untouchable sort of fund and let it accumulate interest and keep on living day-to-day until my dh and I figured out whether we wanted to be married and how exactly we were going to do that.  If it took five years of therapy, so be it.   OP, I wish you well.  This does not sound like an easy situation.  
Side note on my previous post:  read "The Two Income Trap" by Elizabeth Warren if you want to think more about the differences between our parents' generation and ours when it comes to income and expenditures.  It's mind-blowing.
I get where you're coming from - but I just wanted to throw this out there.  If I had babysat at 15 or even if I were over at someone's house now (as a mom with two kids), if I saw paints out in plain view and the kids expressed an interest in painting, I would have let them.  I don't know anything about the type of paint you mentioned (or anything about any art supplies except Crayola, really!).  If the kids had paint on their shirts, I would have put them in the...
I liked peainthepod's list of responses.   I also think that when you're a guest, you get what you get and you don't get upset.  ;)  I have a difficult time financially when my ILs come to town because - well, my FIL likes a big meal...  However, I have to scale it down a lot and we eat hot dogs and beans and carrot sticks for dinner because I can feed all six of us for under ten dollars, for example.  It might not be what they want to eat ((they would prefer if we...
I'm laughing because I came in from the front page - I saw the thread title, and it made me giggle.  :)  SO MANY people told me that when I was pregnant with #2 (my kids are barely 15 months apart).  I had two in diapers for two years.   It was great!  Why?  Because when ds was 3 and dd was 2, they were both potty-trained at the same time.  They learned together:  ds sat on the toilet and dd sat on the plastic potty.  And then, I had two kids OUT of diapers at the...