or Connect

Posts by hopefulfaith

I photograph a lot of the art my kids make, freeing me to toss/recycle the actual physical article itself.   Right now, I have one small box for each kid.  I don't feel like I need to keep outfits or anything - I prefer photos of the kids wearing the clothes rather than keeping the actual article itself - but I did keep a few small items from their infancies.  I am trying to stick to one box each, though. They're young, so we'll see how that goes.  ;)   I know...
This is just my experience, but when we bought our home (rural development loan/small town in a rural area), I checked the MLS listings for the area to look at the properties.  Most of the properties were listed with one major realtor in the area, so I figured that was the one who was most knowledgeable about buying/selling in that area and that's who we went with.   We got lucky - they were great for us and in hindsight, they were the ones who knew the most about...
I'm done at two.   I don't have family nearby to help, and I've largely been a SAHM for the past six years.  My kids are barely 15 months apart.  Last night, my kids (between them) woke me up eight times in seven hours.  I feel terrible right now and after I made my coffee a little bit ago ((the second time.  the first time, I forgot to put water in the pot before I turned it on and sat for 15 minutes before I realized there was no coffee.)), I remembered that I felt...
I LOVE my hand-held steam cleaner, when it comes to cleaning my bathroom.  It is absolutely perfect for steaming the heck out of the space between the toilet and the floor:  you know how little boys tend to miss sometimes and little girls pee right through the seat and it all just dribbles down to the base of the toilet?  The steam cleaner is perfect for this.  Also pretty much everything else in the bathroom, but mostly this.  :)
About the grandma-saver & the granddaughter-minimalist:  I am in sort of the same situation.  My MIL is into genealogy & has lots of older things that her family owned, but I can totally see her _not_ wanting to pass them down to our family because I would not want to keep them.   I value history and I really, really enjoy looking at older things and thinking about the people who used them --- but I do NOT need to own them and have them in my house in order to...
I like the line on "Yes, I know you can melt them down and make block crayons out of them.  If you were going to do that, wouldn't you have already done it?"   Hahahahahahaha!  I'm going to take care of those stupid crayons today.  :)
LVNTexas, I liked your story about the Amvets donation.  :)  My dh's parents saved boxes upon boxes of stuff for him.  We kept a small box of Eagle Scout stuff and pretty much pitched the rest.     Re: the op -- I find myself taking photos of the cool artwork and papers and throwing the actual items away.  I have a small photo album where I have their beginning attempts at writing MAMA I LOVE YOU and stuff, but that's it.  I'm not keeping boxes of stuff for the...
There have been some lengthy threads on this in the past, some of them quite passionate.     My dh and I are a lot like you and your dh:  I am not anti-gun (I own a .22 I like to shoot at targets, though I don't hunt), but I was certainly not going to allow my *children* to play-act even something so dangerous. I would have preferred early childhood out of the Nova Naturals catalog, thank you very much.  I had a no-gun policy until my ds was 4, which was as long as I...
  My kids did the same thing, particularly between 3 and 4.   I tried not to focus on the "You didn't want to give me a kiss" part as much as I focused on "Here are some better ways to decline unwanted physical contact" strategies --- it is very important to me that the kids _not_ accept/give kisses/hugs if they do not want to, even if it's to me/dh --- but there's a pleasant way to do it, I think.  As a side note, we have practiced these during quiet moments.  My...
Working 35 hours per week, for, say 50 weeks per year? = saving several thousand per year on groceries.  I think it might pay better to have even a part-part-time job...   Ten computers for different IP addresses?  That math might be a little crazy-making, too.  Even if you got ten computers for FREE, wouldn't the cost of electricity for ten computers eat away at one's couponing savings?