or Connect

Posts by hopefulfaith

I had the same problem, and I LIKED having everything out where the kids could make the firefighters help the worker guys while the knights were defending the family in their RV, etc., etc.  The pretend play is amazing.   However, we couldn't get past the fact that eventually all of this had to be picked up.  When all of our PM was out, it was way too overwhelming for a 5 & 4 year old to handle .... and to be honest, it was a lot even for me.   I eventually...
I absolutely think there is a hoarding element to this.  The night I watched TLC and saw the couponing show, it came on right before Hoarders.  I was really struck by the similarities between the shows:  both parties seemed to feel safer and happier when they were surrounded by stuff.  I really think it does go over the top when every small space in your house is crammed full of consumer goods.   I have a pantry downstairs.  I stock up on things when they're on sale -...
I do a little of both.  My dh doesn't travel year-round, but he's frequently gone for weeks at a time during busy seasons (spring, summer).  He just returned from two weeks away.  I maintain a fairly loose routine all the time so that it's not such a huge deal when he comes and goes.  Bedtimes stay largely the same, rules don't change, etc., etc.   I think the biggest thing is the sort of activities that we choose.  I love to pack a picnic and go to the playground/go...
I have a hard time with it.  I appreciate frugality and saving money and using coupons for the things I would buy anyway .... but if you are hoarding 879 bottles of ketchup in your basement -- well, frankly, I'd rather pay full price for a bottle as I need it than have to store/rotate/clean around/mind the mini-grocery store in my house.
I remember feeling a lot like this when my first one was born.  He was a colicky, grouchy little guy who really only liked to sleep (in my armpit) and nurse (all the time).  I was with him 24/7 and did the vast majority of his care, even when dh was around.  Dh didn't like being 1:1 alone with him because he was afraid he would just cry/want to nurse, and he couldn't help with that.  He even thought the baby didn't like him (!) because the colicky crying started around...
Replacements.com, I think, buys china patterns/sets.
OMG, OP - I haven't even read the responses - I just read your original post and raced down the screen to reply DON'T DO IT!!!    I had the very same scenario with my MIL and my DH, and he didn't have the heart to tell her no when she offered large pieces of furniture.  He cornered me in her house to ask quietly if we could just take them home "to get them out of her house" because she has no room at all.  I said all right (we had only been married for a few years and I...
I came in from the front page, even though I don't have toddlers anymore.  I'm an unapologetic not-play-pretend-mom.     I have never pretended to "be the dinosaur" while my son was something else, etc.  It is just not my cup of tea.  I am largely a SAHM and have been since my first child's birth - I have been with my kids 24/7 for years, and I'm all about doing stuff with them.  We play outside, play games, make art, cook together, do chores together --- all that...
Thanks, all.  I appreciate the responses.  I particularly like the Pick A Forbidden Cereal as a birthday treat.  ;)  Also smokering's mom on the whole two-ages of parties thing - that's genius.   I haven't ruled out birthday parties, but my inclination is to keep them small and manageable.  When I read Tigerchild's first few lines, I sort of smiled sheepishly and reminded myself that she is totally right, of course.  Most people probably don't care a...
I'm reading the current birthday party thread, and I'm wondering this:  is it considered weird or antisocial to *not* do a friend-party for one's childrens' birthdays?   My kids are 5 & 4:  kindergarten and pre-school.  Now that ds has entered kindy, the other moms are starting to do big classroom parties for their kids, inviting the whole class and making an enormous event for everyone, complete with destination and goody bags, etc.   To date, I've always had...