or Connect

Posts by hopefulfaith

The short answer is that yes, you could have a relapse.    The long answer has to do with antibiotic resistance & what happens when the bacteria meet the antibiotic:  the most susceptible/weakest cells are killed first, leaving behind the stronger ones.  If you kill off the weakest ones in the first few days of the antibiotic and then stop taking it, you're leaving behind the most resistant bacteria to hang around in your body.  They're strong enough to cause a...
I am having such a hard time with this right now.  My dh is a federal employee and we're reading hour-by-hour news about the shutdown.  I am so, so tired of the political posturing and the inane comments that come with it:  there are a lot of really, really insulting articles out there that ask things like 'Well, would we really miss the workers if they weren't there?" and "Well, federal workers get paid too much, anyway."   Anyway, we've been building up our savings...
Anecdotally, my mom teaches second grade in an inner-city school, and her elementary school had half a dozen weapons confiscated last week.  One of the second graders brought a six-inch knife in "to cut" a classmate (I quote).  No diagnosis there - it was just how society/the neighborhood/whoever was teaching kids how to deal with interpersonal issues.  Violence happens a lot there, even in kids without any diagnoses.  :(  It makes me sad.    
Next time you go, I'd just get the hotel room & even if she wants the kids to stay, just have them come with you.  If she says anything, I'd just leave it at "Well, we thought it would work best this way.  It sounds like you had a heck of a night with the kids last time and we figured we would just come see you again in the morning.  Thank you, anyway!  Good night!".  Her place isn't big enough for all of you and it causes hard feelings to try - if there's a $50/night...
Wow, I am overwhelmed by your kind responses, mamas.  Thank you so much, from my heart.   I was really sad and scared when I was thinking that I was failing as a parent, when I posted, and I really, truly didn't see the other sides you pointed out:  that my kids paired the cleaning/fun thing together and viewed it me offering an option.  Also, the role of my own feelings in this scenario never even crossed my mind.  I think I was viewing the swimming as a sort of...
My kids saw a dead frog last summer and it is very vivid in their minds that that is what happened to him.  I have not had anyone running in the road since then.  ;)   Also, I was studying for a trauma course last month and my son looked at my textbook (ITLS) - there happened to be horrible photos on a page of a trauma patient and he asked what happened.  I replied that this person had not been wearing his seatbelt and was terribly hurt.  Since then, my son has been very...
Okay, I'm trying to think this one through because I can't decide if it's a symptom that I'm doing something horribly wrong in my parenting and need to change directions.  Be gentle with me, GD mamas.  :)   Background:   We have a 20x10 room in our basement that we remodeled to serve as a playroom for the kids.  We do have toys upstairs and art/music stuff upstairs, but the bulk of the kids' toys are downstairs - Playmobil, dollhouse, Lego table, floor puzzles,...
I'm wondering if she worded it that way, viewing trying to be cute as a better option than YELLING IN ALL CAPS AND TELLING PARENTS TO, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SEND YOUR CHILD IN WINTER CLOTHES SO WE CAN FREAKING GO OUTSIDE!   Sorry.  I know the caps are annoying, but I would seriously be annoyed and angry if parents didn't send appropriate outerwear for their kids despite knowing that the kids go out everyday.   I'd take it for what it's worth - the teacher trying...
That is wonderful!   I made three lifelong, forever friends in nursing school.  It was the best of times and worst of times.   Congratulations and best wishes for a wonderful, fulfilling career.  :)
I went to the WW website to try to cancel my subscription this morning and discovered that I wouldn't get a refund for the package-3-month deal thing, only for about $6.95.  I decided it wasn't worth it and thought maybe I would try to give it a week before I opted not to use a paid-for subscription.  I feel sort of stupid for not playing with the site more, but they really don't give you a taste of the online points-thing until you sign up, so...  Anyway.  Hopefully...