or Connect

Posts by captain crunchy

Quote: Originally Posted by MusicianDad Because we all know that for those of us who do Santa, its the only way we can create magic in our lives... I tried to ignore that comment, but I couldn't. It doesn't take Santa to create magic, Santa is just part of the magic. Well it is kind of hard to see that when people say things like "how could anyone steal a child's magic like that?" when speaking about someone telling their child there is no...
I agree MD -- I have said ad nauseum that in the context of the OP, I think the mom was rude and tactless -- but maintained that I would have felt that way regardless of what the children were talking about. It wasn't about santa, it was about the delivery -- the convo (as they do) morphed into generalitites and broader situations which I was responding to as well.
Quote: I've honest to god tried to believe in various god(s)/goddess(es) over the years, and my brain just can't make sense of them. That made me laugh. I agree with your post -- we don't preach here either (to others) which is probably part of why we are blessed to have friends of so many differing religious/spiritual beliefs in our lives. I want to teach my child that it's okay that other people disagree with you -- that it has no power to...
Quote: Originally Posted by EviesMom I think saying "we're jewish, we don't believe in Jesus" is the same as someone saying "we don't believe in Santa." It's a different thing for someone to say "Stop pretending! You know Santa isn't real!" A Jewish family could certainly say "Stop pretending! You know Jesus is just a guy who's been dead for hundreds of years. He's not a god or a messiah!" Both are rude. I agree. One can be honest and tactful...
Quote: Originally Posted by MusicianDad And how do you know the Bible isn't just some collection of stories some guy wrote for his son? I don't know. I have chosen to have faith that it is true. That isn't the point though -- the point is, I don't expect the general public to preserve the integrity of a belief system I have chosen for myself and that they have not. I would no sooner become enraged by someone telling my child they don't believe...
Quote: Originally Posted by NaomiMcC That's so sad. I should have put "magic stealin' mama" in quotes. I guess the satire was lost in my statement (don't read my blog it will get you in a big tizzy if you don't appreciate satire). Don't feel bad for my kid I assure you there is plenty of magic, wonder, whimsy, and beauty to go around in our world. *I* feel sad that it takes a fat man with a beard and a red suit with a sack of presents to...
Quote: Originally Posted by hollytheteacher captain crunchy...i tried to quote the part i disagree with but it somehow got deleted...i mean the part were you said "knowingly lying" I disagree there. i don't think you are "knowingly" lying if you also DO believe in Santa. As in, the spirit of giving...the story behind it all, etc. My ds is only 15 months and we are "doing" santa. I still believe in my heart in "santa" (not the fat man and red...
Sorry OP -- we were just veering into the ins and outs of this topic. Again, I just want to voice that I do think the mom in your story was way out of line to just barge into your dd's and her friend's imaginary play not knowing what you would or wouldn't have been comfortable with.
Sorry, "people celebrate Jesus' birth around this time but we don't exactly know *when* he was born" is a tad different than..."so there is this guy who comes in when we sleep and leaves stuff -- oh but when you are around 10 you'll find out that was totally and completely not true... but... the magic! Remember the magic???" The Bible gives no date of Jesus' birth so I am good there.
I don't teach dd that Jesus was born on December 25th so I think I am good thanks