or Connect

Posts by captain crunchy

Also, when I teach my child about God -- I truly 100% believe God is real... with all my heart. You don't, that is cool - that isn't the point.So if in the end, we find out you are right -- I can honestly say WOW, I REALLY believed I was being truthful with dd. When people present santa as real, are you telling me it is because they actually believe it? No, they are *knowingly* lying imo.
Quote: Originally Posted by nannymom What about "no he doesn't" and then if the child presses the issue say something like "you should talk about this with your mommy." if someone else took it upon themself to tell my child santa wasn't real i'd be furious. If you don't want to go along with it tell them to talk to me. Don't want to lie don't just send them home. I'm an atheist if your child came to me and said is God real how would you feel if I said...
Quote: Originally Posted by MusicianDad How about "We don't believe in Santa so he doesn't come to our house." ..but that implies that he isn't coming to our house just because we don't believe he does... like, he is real but because we are santa haters (we really aren't) he doesn't choose to come here. I dunno... I typically bring it back to them "you sound excited". That is my go-to line... nice and honest, they do sound excited after all.
I want to ask where does one draw the line in things such as this? For example, we were playing with some neighborhood kids and they asked if dd had a brother or sister and I said, no. Well, it led to one girl telling the other girls that her mom "pushed a girl button on her tummy and she got a girl and that is how I was born" -- and they were all... reaaalllyy?" and whatnot. (ages ranging from about 5-8) Okay, I *totally* get that it isn't my place to tell other people's...
Well this thread has taken an interesting turn. Who cares why anyone does anything, just don't make me or my kid an accessory in upholding the erm.... "magic" you chose to tell your child about. I don't expect you to do it for my child -- honestly, I pray I am imparting to her the fact that no one can "steal" her joy or magic by disagreeing with her respectfully (and age appropriately). I'm not going to tell a four year old that santa is a big sham, but if said four...
Quote: Captain Crunchy - I started reading your blog too. I got a chuckle from your post about the Hallmark channel. And then read your previous post about the Walmart shopping craze. I realized you must have written it before Walmart worker was trampled on, then saw your comments and was right. Yeah, I wrote that before I heard about the Wal-Mart employee. Even so, it is a satirical commentary on black Friday and the consumerism that consumes many...
For real don't not acknowledge it. I have never personally lost a child thank God, but to ignore the "incident" as your mom puts it (when really it is a life-altering, tragic tear in your heart forever I can only imagine) I would imagine *for me* would feel upsetting. I think your mom may be coming from a generational perspective because people used to "not speak of such things". You don't have to write a novel or anything, I would write in the regular Christmas card...
I don't lie to my child I didn't say I never lied in my life or that I am not mindful of age/development/tactfulness -- but yeah -- I have never knowingly lied to my child thus far. Call sanctimony all you please, I'm still not going to tell my kid that some guy comes down the chimney we don't have to deliver presents just to back up the lie someone's told their kid. Don't worry, no one need martyr themselves for my kid thankyouverymuch. It is totally okay with me that...
I saw this in new posts and I thought, "OMG I didn't know topics like this were hosted on MDC!!" then saw it was in the diapering forum and ....oh...makes sense. Carry on.
Oh those are so cool! I would love to recieve those, especially with a small child -- you wouldn't have to worry about anything breaking on the tree etc --- and they are beautiful as well! Way to go