or Connect

Posts by LynnS6

So, if he doesn't like it, is he working at finding her a different name that he's comfortable with? If he's not, then I'd say he's at some level OK with Lillia Fae.
If sitting is hard for her, you might think about a sensory seat type thing: http://www.sensoryuniversity.com/Disc-O-Sit-Seat-Cushion-DISC-O-SIT.htm.   Other things that help are putting stretchy bands around the legs of the chair for her to push down on while she sits.
Many religious traditions have the custom of giving a child two names -- an 'official' name and then the cultural name. Could you do that? So, for example, our Jewish friends have both an English name (which appears on their birth certificates) and a Hebrew name, which is used in the temple and for religious ceremonies. Could you give her an English-ish name for official documents and have an Ojibwe name that you choose later (or have given during a naming...
  We don't know enough about the situation to make that assumption. The OP was not clear on what the teacher's concerns were other than she thought that 6 year olds should be past this stage. I'm not sure what led to the scathing letter that was written, but in general, it's often better to take the approach of "why do you see this as a problem and how can we work on this together?" that it is to assume that they're trying to crush the spark of uniqueness out of a...
My sister called age 5 the "verbal diarrhea stage" and my mom used to say that the purpose of kindergarten was to teach kids that they are not the center of the universe. In other words, both the talking on and on about herself/her interests and thinking that the world must revolve around them are pretty normal at this age. I wouldn't be worried about those traits until she hits about 8 and still doesn't seem to get that.   I would be concerned, however, about...
I've got two kids who are sensitive to clothing -- one had full blown sensory processing disorder and the Occupational Therapy we did made a huge difference. The other is "just" sensitive. The kid who needed OT had his sensitivities interfering with daily life in a pretty big way (he would NOT wear shorts or short sleeves in the summer, ever; he wouldn't go barefoot, he wouldn't touch water, he couldn't pedal a trike at age 5 (dyspraxia along with sensory issues), he...
My daughter has a very active fantasy life. She's invented a whole family (two older siblings, two younger, the father comes from Korea, the mother from Mexico, and the children speak Korean, Spanish and English). She's 8 and has been developing this family since she was 4 or 5. But she doesn't trot this out at school. Why? Because she senses that other people might not understand. She never has talked about her fantasy family at school, even in the very crunchy Reggio...
I think it's important that parents help kids explore things to do so that when they become teens, they have some options. Our son is 11, just started middle school. We encouraged him to run cross-country this year and he's fallen in love with it. I'm thrilled because that's a sport that will carry him through high school. He's played soccer and basketball, but frankly, he's not good enough to make the team in high school. We also encourage him to do one "intellectual...
I'd pick up other ones and suggest to her that you read them together, but I wouldn't force it. Ds spent the entire 3rd grade reading nothing but Boxcar Children stories. I was bored silly, but he liked them. (Thankfully dd has more eclectic tastes.)
Has she had counseling? I agree that she's in denial and probably having a hard time dealing with her feelings when things aren't going well. Even if she's been in counseling, maybe it's time to go back. As she changes, her past experiences will affect her. I think you also need to work with a counselor to find a safe way for her to fail something so she realizes that the world does not end if she does not fail. (My 8 year old is about to learn that with a sport.)