or Connect

Posts by LynnS6

How much do the teachers know about teaching kids who are profoundly gifted and skipped? I'd honestly worry more about that than I would the principal. The teachers are going to be what make or break his day to day interaction.   The other thing to think about is how the school is set up. Our 5th grader is going to middle school next year. The 6th grade is essentially a separate unit. They do not change classes with 7th or 8th graders, they don't lunch with them,...
.. and move out.
It's pretty normal. Personally, I like to see children who are interested in this kind of stuff because it'll give them a wonderful basis of knowledge for when they start reading. Both my kids were like this, ds more than dd. Dd was curious but often about different things. Ds wanted to know the why of things and was very interested in abstract concepts like God and death. At this age, they're starting to discover the wider world and it's really fun to see!   The...
  OK, so now is the time for YOU to get counseling so that you don't teach your daughter to be a doormat. Really, you've quit jobs? Yes, conflict is stressful. But it's much much more stressful to avoid it all the time.   If you really want to give it one more go, you could call her up and say "I'm sorry you're so stressed. It's terrible to be losing a parent. Right now, however, our kids aren't getting along, and I think it's best if they take a break from each other for...
Get a twin mattress for the floor. It's really not safe.
  Unfortunately, when you post on the internet, it's out there for good. Something to think about when you post to virtual strangers.   I hope your family gets the help and counseling that you all need.
The danger with waiting until the tooth falls out on its own is that the decay could get into the adult tooth and then he'd be starting with a tooth that needs to be filled.   Why do you think that an extraction would be traumatic? I've known a couple of kids who've had extractions and they think it's cool! The other question to ask is whether the dentist can do a root canal and a crown. It's a lot cheaper to pull the baby tooth, but it is possible to get the crown....
I'm pretty sure the connection between gum recession and braces is due to poor hygiene while wearing braces.   Our ds will most likely need braces to correct a pretty severe overbite. He's also inherited my small mouth which means that there might not be enough room for his teeth. That kind of crowding of teeth can really mess with a bite and make the teeth uncomfortable later in life. For me the trade off is definitely on the side of braces. I had them, dh had them,...
Having helped out at our church's VBS a number of times, my advice would be: Don't send a 3 year old to VBS! Most of them, even the ones who've been in preschool, aren't really ready to spend 3 hours in an environment where they don't yet know their teachers and they keep moving from thing to thing with new people in charge. Many are fine, but a few just sob until we call the parents.   If it's a social/religious thing, I'd wait until 4-5. That's the age when peer...
  Yeah, my daughter turned 8 today and was trying to convince me yesterday that she met the 5 step test. "umm, no, if you have to slouch down to get your feet to touch the floor, you're not passing the 5 step test dear."   Ds was out of his booster just before he turned 9 because he's got a long torso and we had a small car. The booster was putting his head above the head rest. I think if we had our current minivan, he would have been in one longer. Dd is only 4'5" tall...