or Connect

Posts by LynnS6

I've seen it work, but it takes work on the parents' part to make it clear that this is meeting the needs of each child the best and not some sort of favoritism.   Is there any chance in your school for a grade skip? Would that be reasonable for her? I don't know how the Danish system works with respect to that, but if your daughter is both academically and socially advanced and her class is going to be moving SLOWER than average, that might be a solution to look...
I hope you've been to the doctor. For infants, 3 days is about the limit. For older kids 3-5. Even for adults if it had gone on longer than 5 days, I think being seen would be good.
The teacher can't tell you what they're doing about the other child because it violates privacy laws. Honestly, she shouldn't even have let you overhear that conversation. That was unprofessional on her part.   I think the child needs a shadow at the playground. I'd also see if you can invite the other friend over for playdates or see if there are other kids you can invite over for playdates to expand his social circle. A lot of first graders have a really hard time...
Is it any worse than having some of hte teachers shave their heads? Or the hands-free pie eating contest they're going to do at our school.   I get the concern with duct-tape over the mouth, but I think people are taking this far too seriously. They could just do away with that, and I'd be fine. It's the principal doing something silly to encourage the kids. Given the pressure that teachers, principals and kids can feel over school performance, having something to...
  "Jew girl" is offensive. "Jewish girl" is not necessarily. High schoolers are certainly capable of that distinction. But, Jewish is both a religious AND an ethnic distinction in most people's minds. They wouldn't say "Catholic girl" but I sure bet they'd say "Mexican girl". I have a really really hard time believing that it could have been meant in a "friendly" way. It was a deliberate attempt to call out her difference, not a celebration of diversity.   And given the...
I'd respond "You liked nursing, didn't you? But you're done nursing. We can cuddle together instead."
I'd talk to the teacher. The teacher might be able to do some seating or some grouping to help your daughter get to know other kids who are likely friendship candidates.   Is your daughter getting enough sleep? A lot of kids have a hard time the first couple weeks of school because they're still adjusting from the summer schedule to the school schedule. My daughter got sick on Friday, and we've had several days of tears over random things.   The other thing is...
I'll just post your own words as a reply:       You choose school = you get less of the junk food. In classic behaviorist terms, this is a punishment, i.e. a withdrawal of something good. Negative punishment is just that. (Positive punishment is adding something harmful, and you're clearly not doing that.) There is more than one type of punishment and saying "too bad, you chose school, so no snacks at home" is negative punishment.   If you'd said your older kids were...
  It still sounds to me like you're punishing your older kids for going to school. Being able to eat whenever you want is a perk of homeschooling. Getting all the good treats? No, that's not fair. I WOH. My husband does not eat up all the cookies when we make them. He leaves some for me because he knows I love them. I'm missing the basic "think about the needs and feelings of others" in this logic. I really am.
  It's also important to remember that maybe 2 or 3 of those children would have lived to adulthood. So, there may have been 5-7 births, but some would have died in infancy and others in childhood. Falling birth rates tend to have more to do with infant survival and industrialization (you didn't need so many children to work the farm). How late children were weaned has varied through the centuries.