or Connect

Posts by LynnS6

My kids go to a school that is 85% free and reduced lunch. 67% of the kids are in ESL. In K, I'd say 50% of the kids don't speak any English. Over 2/3 of the kids in our neighborhood choose to go somewhere else because they look at those numbers and freak out. It's racism/elitism at its best. I've had kids tell me "My parents don't think [the school your kids go to] is good enough." They've never been there, they're going on test scores and reputation.   My kids are...
Dd nursed regularly until 3. I didn't get my period back until she was 3 1/2, even though she only nursed morning and evening for the last 6 months.
  This sounds to me like you're saying "you chose school, so you get less of the good stuff." Is that really the message you want to send?  I don't think you can compare your situation/your dh's situation to your kids'. You have income that you can choose to spend however you like. You are in charge of the groceries. Your husband has an income. Your older kids may or may not have an income, but it's not really fair to ask them to buy their own junk food when you happily...
When my kids asked, I always responded "what do you think?" Usually, they would say "I don't know" and drop it. When they said "tell me, are you Santa?" I would confirm it. I think that while they were asking, they still wanted to believe. Once they became convinced he wasn't real through their own thinking, they were insistent on the truth.   My kids both reacted positively to the truth. Ds just wanted to know why we did it ("because it's fun to pretend things are...
It's part of a special issue on Gifted Girls, as far as I can tell. It is from 1991, so I'd be cautious in using it. JollyGG, you should be able to get the Roeper Review through your university. You just have to access it via the university. (It's not qualitative, it's quantitative.)   For the rest: Method:         Major findings:          
We have a 2012 Sienna and LOVE It. I've driven a Town & Country as a rental and it didn't handle nearly as well .The Sienna has got an amazingly small turning radius and feels good. (And we got the bottom of the line, while the T&C we drove had all the bells & whistles). We've got 2 kids and transport up to 4-5 sometimes, but they're all older and in boosters or out of car seats.
Read Einstein Never Used Flashcards.   If your child wants to learn to read early and does so organically, I don't think there's much downside. However, if YOU want your child to learn to read early, then there can be. Preschoolers need lots of play time. They do not need to be learning phonics or sight words. There's good research to show that kids who are pushed hard academically in preschool (having to do worksheets, sit and read, etc.) end up not liking school as much...
  Honestly, that would bother me a lot more than the penis showing part. I know this is a special school because of her hearing issues, but is it the best place for her to be? Can you work with her on telling you and then you go to the teachers? Because it doesn't sound like a safe place for her to be if she's not going to be believed.
One really common form of PPD is Postpartum Anxiety. It can sometimes occur with postpartum OCD as well. The kind of worrying that you're doing is NOT typical. The thoughts you're having of someone breaking in and harming your baby are also not typical. Those are called intrusive thoughts. This page does a nice job of describing the symptoms of various postpartum mood disorders:...
I vote for a leftie thing. Dd did that for about a year between 4 1/2 and 5 1/2. The only trace left in first grade was a few numbers (9 and 4). They were gone by the middle of 1st grade.   I suspect he's just trying out things and he might be a little bored, so he's trying to make it interesting. I remember trying to take notes with my left hand (I'm very right handed) when I got bored. You may need to work on the concept of "the teacher needs to be able to see that...