or Connect

Posts by LynnS6

Are you arguing against the Catholic church in particular or against any wine at communion?   First, there is good research to show that children who drink wine as part of a religious ceremony are no more likely to have alcohol problems than children who don't. Children do understand the ceremonial nature of the wine, for the most part. Thus, allowing a child a sip of wine once a week is not like giving a child a cigarette. It's just not. Taking part in a religious...
I don't censor books at all. I have two highly sensitive kids (both on the border of anxiety disorders) and they self-regulate very well. Ds (my more anxious child) actually likes dystopian novels. Go figure. Dd doesn't and won't read them. Dd's my more precocious reader and she's very good at self-censoring. She's 8 and could easily read teen books, but they bore her. It's actually a problem finding decent reading materials for her because her ability/interests just...
For many kids, the worry about you dying is also a worry about what will happen to them.   I explained to my kids when they asked that I would die someday, but I was doing a lot of things to keep myself healthy so that I would live to be an old lady and see them all grown up. Since the concept of being grown up is as foreign to them at 3 as the concept of death, that seemed to take a lot of sting out of it. We also talked about plans for them. If I died, then daddy...
A resource that has been really helpful in our house is Handwriting Without Tears -- they have a K curriculum that you could get and do at home.   Honestly, in Kindergarten, if all she can do is copy letters, that's fine. They don't really have to begin to write anything resembling a thought out paragraph until 2nd grade. She has all of K to work on letter formation, and all of 1st grade to work on writing sentences and spelling.   If she's a perfectionist, I'd...
I  don't define gifted purely as "genius" because I've seen lots of variations on giftedness. For me, any child whose academic/intellectual needs cannot be reasonably accommodated in the classroom should be offered gifted education. I remember being really bored pretty much through high school. It wasn't until college, and then graduate school, that I really found my groove and the challenge that I craved.   Other than that, I don't really have any horror stories....
In terms of "wait and see" -- are the ADHD symptoms causing her issues at school and at home? If not, then I think wait and see is reasonable. You can read up on ADHD and on ways to help kids with ADHD with self-regulation (it's often a problem not only for attention, but also for emotions and behavior). You can subtly work on those skills. If/when her issues become too much to handle for school or she's getting out of control at home (huge tantrums, not able to be...
I've seen some pretty nasty skateboard injuries. If it has wheels, they wear a helmet.   Now, I realize it may sound silly to wear a helmet for a trike that's unlikely to tip over, or even a two wheeled scooter, but I want it indeliblely fixed in my kids' minds that wheels = helmet. My kids are older now (8 and 11) and we have zero problems with them wearing helmets. It helps that we live in a state where helmets are required by law until kids are 14. All the kids in...
OP: I think you should go with your gut on this one. If this is something that you'd be open to as your child gets a little older,  you might be able to tell them: "Three days is too long for me right now. How about we try an overnight in the next few months and see how it goes. If it goes well, maybe I'll be ready for something like this in a couple of years."   I find this kind of thinking extreme. Do you have any evidence to support this? Because without it, this sort...
My suspicion is that it's incredibly chaotic because of the move. I'm puzzled that you don't have your teacher assignment though. We don't get our super early, but school starts Sept. 4th and we'll know on the 29th of August who my daughter will have. It's been like that every year.   One option would be for you to bring him to school on Thursday (is that tomorrow or a week from tomorrow?) EARLY (as soon as they open), and talk to the teacher about the system, and if...
I'd be really upfront with her -- "We're not willing to schedule a therapy session until we know what the diagnosis is. I'm disappointed that you're recommending therapy before even reviewing the checklists. I need to know the specific areas that you'll be working on and the specific areas of deficit that you see. It's a stretch for us to this both financially and time wise, and I can't justify it without a written report."   What's she's asking is unprofessional,...