or Connect

Posts by LynnS6

The only way is to supervise visits. If she's teaching him things that you don't want him to learn, then she loses the privilege of seeing him without you.   I don't know a lot about Mormons, but I know that the family being Mormon as well is extremely important (important enough that they "baptize" ancestors). Your MIL is probably not going to stop.
Where does she eat?   Our dd, who has a naturally solid build, but on a little too much extra weight this summer. I realized that we'd become lax about our "not eating while watching TV rule". I lowered the boom on that (not so much because of her weight but because the basement where the TV is was a pig sty). I can already tell there's a difference in how much dd is eating -- not  huge, but I bet it adds up to 200 calories a day. If we can keep that down, she'll...
  Umm... maybe because vaccines work? Most developed countries have high rates of vaccination, so I don't see the logic of this argument at all.   If you look at a country like Nigeria, where vaccine coverage is low, you get statistics like this: "Vaccine preventable diseases account for approximately 22% of child deaths in Nigeria, amounting to over 200,000 deaths per year."  (WHO) That's a lot of lives lost because there is no herd immunity.   I've yet to be convinced...
  This, OP, is what I'm worried about. I would hate to see your fear of the system mean that your child is going to grow up with this man.
IME, 3rd-4th grade is the worst grade for this. The kids who have these tendencies have gotten much more subtle and less overt, so it's harder for the teachers to catch them. Plus more kids, developmentally, are able to play that game, and the need to fit in is higher than it was in 1st and 2nd grade. If the teacher's solution is to have her make friends in a class above her, I'd be really worried. That essentially means she's given up on trying to discipline these kids,...
Forum crashing here. At 8 a child is old enough to learn some self care, which will take care of a lot of the problem. If bathing at her mom's house is an issue, then teach her to do some basic hygiene. She can wash her face, armpits and private parts with a wash cloth. Teach her to braid her hair at night so it doesn't get so tangled while she sleeps. This works wonders with my daughter's very thick hair. Trim the ends when it gets too tangled. It doesn't need to be...
Wait, you're making $91 a week? That's ridiculous!! Truly.   A good nanny should make $1500 a month or more. Tell them you can no longer afford to word for less than minimum wage. They're taking major advantage of you. If they pull the family thing, you can say "yes, you should put family first. I can't believe you're OK with paying me less than $400 a month. How can anyone live on that?"
There's good research to show that kids who are pushed too early into academics tend to not like school as much, and furthermore the 'advantage' they get doesn't last.   I have two bright kids. One wasn't interested in academics at all. He spent all of kindergarten drawing pictures of buses and firetrucks during journaling time. He didn't want to read. He refused to admit he could read until 1st grade. My other child is more a traditional academic kid -- she's driven...
You know, when my kids got to the age when they were able to wipe their own bottoms, buckle their own seat belts, fix their own snacks and wait for more than 5 minutes for me to finish, that longing went away. I'm reveling in having competent kids who can talk intelligently about things like politics and world events.
  I'm glad you've come around on this. Staying home with a toddler is exhausting. Staying home with a toddler is even harder when you're a bit older. I'm only 46, but I've felt a huge change in how long it takes me to bounce back from being exhausted in the last 2-3 years. I used to be able to stay up late for work, get about 6 hours of sleep and be OK until the weekend when I could catch up on sleep. Not any more. I was really promoting TV free before 2, but dh was home...