or Connect

Posts by LynnS6

With ear protection, yes. Without ear protection, no. For me, it's all about hearing. Way too many people have destroyed their hearing by listening to overloud music. You don't want to start that with a small child.
If she's going into first grade, she's perfectly fine. It sounds like she's got some good sight words. Much of first grade is devoted to learning reading.   My daughter was reading fluently in first grade but was still reversing some numbers. She's left handed and wrote in complete mirror script most of the way through K. Reversals are pretty common at this age. Dd's teacher in first grade told us not to worry, and she was right. By about December, the reversals had...
After 21 months, I think you're out of the newborn and baby phase and starting a phase where you need to live as a family unit, and not as mom-baby + dad. Dad's needs are valid too. Personally, I think it's unhealthy if everything revolves around a child's needs. One of the major things children (not babies, but children) have to learn as they grow is that others have needs too. Moving back into your own bed after helping your son fall asleep would be a...
    There are different rules for snacks to share vs. snacks a child eats without sharing. I'm 98% sure that if the parents check with the school, they will find that their child can bring whatever they want for a snack, as long as they don't share and it doesn't contain peanuts.   However, the 'snacks to share' fall under different rules. Not only are there the peanut rules (which are extremely important to abide by), there are also the district rules/regulations about...
If you want both sides of the picture, you might consider asking this question on the "Learning at School" board as well. I don't think you're going to find many people on the homeschooling section being gung-ho about school.If you're just wanting validation that it's OK to homeschool your kids even if you live in a good district, that's one thing. If you're seriously considering public school, you should talk to people who do it.   I caution everyone (homeschoolers or...
My very verbal daughter does this sometimes. I think she's practicing. Some people learn by watching (my son) and others by doing. Dd loves language, playing with language and learning about language. She spends probably a couple hours every week playing with google translate.   Unless it's occurring in inappropriate situations or bothering him, I wouldn't worry.
My take on the movies: They're not appropriate for preschoolers. Most of them are highly emotional, and kids under about age 6 don't really understand the story arc -- that is, something happens, it builds to a climax (which is usually scary) and then is resolved. Instead, they tend to view the movie less as a whole story and more in individual scenes.   If your child isn't bothered by scary stuff, then it's probably OK to introduce the stuff earlier, knowing that...
What about something like a stove knob cover if it's round? http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Clear-Covers-5-Pack/dp/B00068O22S/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1342816694&sr=1-2&keywords=button+cover   You'd have to mount part on the wall and may need to modify the back, but it'll work.
  Yes, I do believe Dr. google once diagnosed my daughter with Rocky Mountain spotted fever! (no, she didn't have it, wasn't even close. It was/is ezcema.)
It's not genetic. It's being 10. Preteens don't have a good sense of time, money or budgeting for the future. They're still very concrete thinkers. They're still pretty 'self-centered' in that they think of their own needs first and it takes work to get them to see other perspectives. They also get moody and upset over seemingly small things. Please don't blame it on her dad.   I'd suggest having her become part of the budgeting process with you. Lay out your monthly...