or Connect

Posts by LynnS6

I thought the OP said she didn't think the mom would go for this. It also lacks the consistency and certainty that I think this child needs. The child needs to know that she's got a home to go to and that she won't be sent away/brought home on the whim of mom or the current boyfriend. I'm not saying that the foster system is an ideal solution by any means. But CPS was already willing to put the child with someone the family knows when she was an infant, so they've shown...
  No, repeating conversations is not worrisome. What kids with autism do is that the use bits of conversation in place of real conversation. so, if you ask a child who does this if they're ready, they may always reply "ready to roll" which is a phrase they got from a TV show. If you're going in a car, it might be appropriate. If you're asking them to brush their teeth or go to bed or have dinner, it's not. So, they don't change the language to fit the...
  Yes, please get an evaluation by a developmental pediatrician. A speech language pathologist is NOT qualified to diagnose autism or even SPD. Ideally, you'd be able to get your son evaluated by a team -- developmental pediatrician, speech-language pathologist and occupational therapist. It's a pain to get started, but if you can get into a place that has that kind of team, you'll get a much better picture of what's going on.   It's a myth that children with autism...
  Many things can be controlled by diet and exercise. I'd like to point out however, that there's a difference between adult onset diabetes, which often can be treated with diet and exercise, and juvenile diabetes, which can't. Of course we should always try diet changes and exercise first. I would go sugar free, dye free or whatever free for a good while if my kids had ADHD and I thought it could help. There's research to suggest that perhaps 30-40% of children with ADHD...
I'm going to ask a pretty blunt question: If he had diabetes that you couldn't control with diet alone, would you give him insulin?   Medication for severe anxiety is as important to his functioning as insulin is for a diabetic. Without intervention, which looks like it's going to have to include meds for a while, your son is at risk. He's at risk for 'simple' things like poor self-esteem, depression, hurting you, hurting himself. He will be at risk for suicide...
It does sound like he's not getting enough hindmilk. How long do you leave him on one side? I would leave him for a few minutes longer than you're used to. If he's not getting enough hindmilk, he may not be getting full because the hindmilk has more fat.   If you have a really fast let-down, it can also lead to this problem. Kellymom.com has some good tips on this. http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/   Our son had green poops and when I...
I know my kids forgive because they've done it a lot. Which means: I've screwed up enough to need to be forgiven.   What if you turn this around -- what if you view these indeed as opportunities to teach, but opportunities to teach your child how an adult makes amends when they've screwed up. So, if you said something that you regret when you're angry, show your child how you apologize. If you didn't take the time you wanted to because you were rushed, connect with your...
  She's just plain wrong. It's one of the ways children learn. Some children use more because it's their personalities/learning style. This is where a little bit of knowledge can indeed be dangerous. Tell her she needs to read Shirly Brice Heath's book "Ways with Words". It's full of examples of perfectly typical kids using echolalia. Echolalia is only a problem if it's persistent and it occurs with very little spontaneous speech.   As for not exposing her enough to other...
  Because:     And, unless she can get the mother to sign some legal documents, the OP has no way to get the child health care, schooling/school records (since she's on the books at a school, she'll be considered truant, even if the OP homeschools her), and no right to keep  her should the bio father or some other relative come and want to take her. You would have no ability to prevent her drug addict dad from coming to take her so he could get TANF, for...
If she takes the advice to flee, manufacture documents and live outside the system, she risks having all custody taken away from her and full custody given to her abusive ex. If what she says about the body order is true, then if she's ever pulled over, she's going to lose her child, even temporarily.   Right now, she lives in another state and the ex has not exercised any parental rights. With a decent lawyer, and the evidence from the previous restraining order,...